need winter ascent ideas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
crysent

need winter ascent ideas

by crysent » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi,

Looking to get away for a week or so alone this coming January. I'm looking for some idea's on mountains within 12-15 hours of Iowa (it takes me roughly 11 hours to get to Estes Park, CO) for doing some solo (obviously winter) ascents.

I originally considered the presidents, but just don't feel like doing a 20+ hour drive alone, I would call myself beginner - moderate skills (comfortable in crampons and ice axe, snow shoes and snow skies), but obviously I will be solo.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to come up with anything. I have no preference for location besides being no further then 12-15 hour drive, and againt I'm looking to spend a week or so in the mountains. One good summit, or a decent area just to play around.

Thanks in advance!

Layne Bracy

by Layne Bracy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Colorado has plenty of relatively safe winter peaks. Some ideas include:

near RMNP - Deer Mtn, Twin Sisters, Flattop Mtn/Hallett Peak

14ers - Quandary, Sherman are about the easiest in winter

12ers/13ers from high TH's - Sniktau, Grizzly, Co Mines/Eva Flora, Stanley/Vasquez, Pennsylvania

nice warm up - 11er Chief Mtn

that should get you started ....

grabbs146

Colorado

by grabbs146 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:56 pm

I would buy a guide book on the colorado 14ers. That should give you all the ideas you'll need and checkout places to camp on this site around any of the peaks you want to bag. Have a blast and be safe

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:40 pm

You might want to post this in the Colorado forum, if that's where you're planning to go. Otherwise, there are the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan (which I think have some winter trip reports on SP) or maybe the Adirondacks, though that may be just outside the driving time you specified.

Grabbs146, is that Luscious Babes in your profile pic?

grabbs146

by grabbs146 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 am

why yes, that is luscious babes....My second outdoor sport lead.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)