Mens vs Womens sizing - mountaineering boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
CanadianSteve

Mens vs Womens sizing - mountaineering boots

by CanadianSteve » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 pm

I am looking at a boot for 4 season (winter use) (I already have scarpa charmoz for 3 season) for Canadian rockies ice/snow.

I am looking at the LS Nepal Evo and tried both a womens and a mens in my size (40-ish).

They both felt comfortable in the store. The womens would be more narrower and thus felt more snug (felt comfortable).

My question is, how much does width make a difference in a mountaineering boot? I have climbed snow/rock fine in my scarpa charmoz (mens) boot and have had minimal issues. But since these cost a considerable amount, I want to start with the right boot...

Is there a certain width that seperates a narrow foot from a regular foot, and same for a wide foot? I have always thought my width was normal, but the narrower boots felt more secure.

Lastly, how much does width have to do with heel lift? In the womens boot my heel did not move at all, whereas the mens did on my left foot. (this could be due to difference in how tight I laced it though...)

Thanks for any help/comments

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I would just buy whatever seems to fit. I too have bought women's footwear occasionally. My feet are size 9.5 US men's, which corresponds to ~11-ish women's. I guess this is why Sierra Trading Post sends me the Active Woman catalog :oops:

Funny, a friend of mine wears size 11 women's shoes. One time she was having trouble with her rock shoes and I lent her my size 9.5 acopa chameleons, which fit her just fine.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 am

I agree, buy what fits you best. Boot manufacturers only have one last that they base a boot model on but everybody's feet are different. The LS Nepals are a great boot for the Rockies.

no avatar
CanadianSteve

by CanadianSteve » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 pm

What I am stuck on is whether it's better for the boot to be slightly narrow or slightly wide?
They both felt great inside.

How much do the tongue inserts effect the fit?

Return to Gear