Trading in NF VE25 Tent?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
JHH60

Trading in NF VE25 Tent?

by JHH60 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 am

I have a vintage North Face VE25 tent that I got in college and have used for 25+ years, but is probably in need of retirement as the waterproof layer on parts of the door and fly are delaminating and apparently can't be repaired. The tent is otherwise in great shape for its age, and shows the quality of design and workmanship that North Face stuff had in the good old days. While delamination isn't covered under warranty, North Face offered to give me a new VE25 for a very good price if I send in the old one. I do have other lighter tent options at home but it's nice to have the roomy, bombproof VE25 when there are 3 people or when the weight isn't a problem. My question to the forum is, are the new VE25s anywhere near the old ones in terms of quality and durability?

funkyicemonkey

Condolences

by funkyicemonkey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 am

I feel your pain. My TNF Westwind is dying. After 14 years of hard use it too is fading and incontnent (leaking). Sympthy.

pinscar

by pinscar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:21 am

I have a Westwind that's 22 years old and still (mostly) kicking. I love the design and light weight. "Light" being relative for a 4-season tent.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:28 am

My Westwind held true and strong for 18 years of service before being relagated as the kids' backyard tent (although I still occasionaly use the fly alone with poles and bottom straps-that makes a light shelter.)

Not sure how the new generation of VE tents compare, good luck. You might try cross posting on Cascade climbers for more opinions...

Damien Gildea

Re: Trading in NF VE25 Tent?

by Damien Gildea » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:02 am

JHH60 wrote:... are the new VE25s anywhere near the old ones in terms of quality and durability?

Durability? Probably not, but this goes for most things made anywhere nowadays.
Quality? This includes many variables. The new models may have some features or materials that you like better than the old one (they've changed zip/door configurations a few times) but maybe some other changes you yourself may not like. The new ones are probably lighter and the poles are probably stronger, but maybe the workmanship and manufacturing are not as good in the long-term?

Personally I had a bad experience with two VE25s a few years back - bent poles, poor vents, weak peg loops - which put me off them, though I had previously had good experience with TNF tents (Expedition 25 and Himalayan Hotel). I try not to jump on the anti-TNF bandwagon, they still make some good stuff.

One of the main North Face Dream Team guys told me a few years back that within the company they considered the Westwind the best tent they had ever made. No idea why they discontinued it. They had a lighter high-altitude version in the pipeline but it never seemed to eventuate. Americans don't seem to like tunnel tents, as they necessitate guying/pegging out, whereas a dome tent (and variations on a dome) can be set up and just sat there freestanding in the campground.

Vanity Fair is a huge corporation. If they want your bomber 25 year old VE so bad, they can either pay you for it or at least give you a free tent for it. Wanting it in return for a discount is just being cheap.

D

Return to Gear