FIfth Water Hot Springs

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
spengy

FIfth Water Hot Springs

by spengy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10 pm

What is the deal with parking for going to Fifth Water these days? I remember hearing a year or two back about parking problems and some people being towed by the forest service.

My brother and I are hoping to go visit Fifth Water sometime soon. Can anyone comment about the availability of parking, etc?

Thanks.

spengy

by spengy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm

For the record (and in case anyone else comes searching the forums for information on fifth water) there is ample parking at the trailhead these days. I feel silly for asking now, actually.

Anyway
Several years back (2005?) I think there was some flooding and the parking area got washed away - people still wanted to visit the hot springs, so they were parking in all sorts of crazy places and getting towed. The parking area/trailhead has since been rebuilt. There is plenty of parking and two filthy restrooms.

My main complaint with fifth water is that people treat it like an outdoor frat house. They bring their dogs, their beers, and their bros and get wasted. I get tired of picking up PBR cans while hiking.

Return to Utah