Fingerboard for n00b

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
woodsxc

Fingerboard for n00b

by woodsxc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Pretty self explanatory. I'm a n00b :embarassed: and I want some training equipment at home. I want to get a fingerboard without breaking the bank. I also wanna mount it to maximize its utility to the non-climbers in the house.

I'll mount it in my basement, either into studs (through drywall) or I'll build a frame for it. Should I design a mount so that I can do dead hangs and L sits or just bolt directly to the wall? I'm inclined to do the former, but if that's a stupid idea, please let me know. Thanks guys.

drjohnso1182

Re: Fingerboard for n00b

by drjohnso1182 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:27 pm

woodsxc wrote:Pretty self explanatory. I'm a n00b :embarassed: and I want some training equipment at home. I want to get a fingerboard without breaking the bank. I also wanna mount it to maximize its utility to the non-climbers in the house.

I'll mount it in my basement, either into studs (through drywall) or I'll build a frame for it. Should I design a mount so that I can do dead hangs and L sits or just bolt directly to the wall? I'm inclined to do the former, but if that's a stupid idea, please let me know. Thanks guys.

You're already pretty strong; I think you'd be better served working on footwork and body positioning, and spend this money on something other than a fingerboard. And I won't try to describe how much finger injuries suck.

If you're intent on getting a fingerboard, though, you'll need to hang it somewhere with space underneath it, e.g. over a doorway.

woodsxc

Re: Fingerboard for n00b

by woodsxc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:14 pm

drjohnso1182 wrote:
woodsxc wrote:Pretty self explanatory. I'm a n00b :embarassed: and I want some training equipment at home. I want to get a fingerboard without breaking the bank. I also wanna mount it to maximize its utility to the non-climbers in the house.

You're already pretty strong; I think you'd be better served working on footwork and body positioning, and spend this money on something other than a fingerboard. And I won't try to describe how much finger injuries suck.

If you're intent on getting a fingerboard, though, you'll need to hang it somewhere with space underneath it, e.g. over a doorway.

Thing is, I don't have a good doorway to use. The ceiling is pretty low and I can't get a solid 8-10" between door and ceiling.

I'm not worried so much about general pull up ability but rather finger (contact?) strength and grip on non-bucket holds.

kheegster

by kheegster » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:03 pm

An alternative is to get rock rings like the ones Metolius sells. You can just bring that to the gym and sling them over pull-up bars or better still the assisted pull-up machines which would give you more control over your workout.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:37 pm

kheegster wrote:An alternative is to get rock rings like the ones Metolius sells. You can just bring that to the gym and sling them over pull-up bars or better still the assisted pull-up machines which would give you more control over your workout.

Gym costs $90 per month. That's waaay outside my price range.

BrunoM

by BrunoM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:47 pm

a) Which gym is that?

And b) do you actually go?

8)

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:38 pm

kheegster wrote:An alternative is to get rock rings like the ones Metolius sells.

^^^This iz korrekt.

If you don't have a doorway or other free space underneath the hangboard, it's kinda useless, IMO. (My Simulator is bolted above the doorway from the living room into the front door hallway, which the wife loves. :roll: )

You can put the rock rings in the basement, though if there's not a ton of headroom you might need to bend at the knees to get your legs up out of the way to to hangs/pulls. Mount them to the bottom of the floor joists, so you have a good, solid anchor to hang from.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Alpinisto wrote:
kheegster wrote:An alternative is to get rock rings like the ones Metolius sells.

^^^This iz korrekt.

If you don't have a doorway or other free space underneath the hangboard, it's kinda useless, IMO. (My Simulator is bolted above the doorway from the living room into the front door hallway, which the wife loves. :roll: )

You can put the rock rings in the basement, though if there's not a ton of headroom you might need to bend at the knees to get your legs up out of the way to to hangs/pulls. Mount them to the bottom of the floor joists, so you have a good, solid anchor to hang from.

Thanks kheegster. The rings look like a solid alternative.

Alpinisto, I considered putting a board somewhere else in the house...for all of about three seconds. I then remembered who ran the house (hint: it isn't me, my brothers, or my dad) and decided that a fingerboard is worthless if I'm dead or incapacitated. My mom lets us get away with some stuff, but once she has drawn the line, woe is to he who dares cross it.

Return to Technique and Training