backcountry n00b stuff

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Diggler

Re: backcountry n00b stuff

by Diggler » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

josegarcia wrote:i like playin in the snow, dude. i wanna get up in yonder backcountry and do some turns. couple questions. one, do i gotta be a “no fall” skier to have fun in the bc. i mean, everybody’s gotta start somewheres. second, there’s sooooo many options. what’s the best setup?

Just like with other aspects of being in/having fun in the mountains, I think it's a good idea (& fairly easy) to start off slowly, with a high factor of safety built into ones learning experience, & progress from there.

I'm just getting into the backcountry skiing game. I've done a few trips that were short, close to the road, & don't have much danger involved. I think that when you start looking at this game, things such as self-sufficiency (esp. with regards to the added hazards of more extreme conditions & higher difficulty of a rescue if anything goes wrong, etc.) & an understanding of potential avalanche conditions are key. Sort of like climbing, taking your setup to the resort to hone your technical skills can be a good way to improve your technique & actual ability on steeper stuff. Like climbing, this is independent of survival skills (solid pro' placement, good anchors, fast (& safe) movement over technical terrain, etc.) or good judgment. In the end, the latter skills will likely be just as, if not more, important than how good of a skier you are.

I personally like the AT setup I got last year- while one doesn't look half as stylish as a good tele skier, it is extremely functional, & does the job of efficient backcountry travel that also allows one to go on the steep terrain as well.

Good luck- I'm in the process of getting better & exploring the possibilities too (& looking forward to it!).

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:12 am

For starters, I strongly recommend that you take an avalanche course. Not that you will able to venture into avalanche terrain after taking the course, but you will be better able to recognize where you shouldn't be going. This knowledge is PRICELESS. Right now you don't know what you don't know, and that can kill you. After an avalanche course, at least you'll have your arms around what you know and what you don't know.

Second, car camping is a great way to get your winter routine dialed-in without risking too much discomfort. You can take the kitchen sink with you and stay nice and warm and eat well. You can drive to the top of mountain passes and camp in or near your car while skiing during the day.

As far as ski gear is concerned.... Do you ski at all now?

All skiing experience is transferable. Rent some gear, go to a ski area, ride the lifts and take some lessons. Doesn't matter if it's alpine or tele gear, just get some lessons and time on the lifts. One day riding the lifts is like 5 days climbing hills in the backcountry in terms of learning. You can get 20 or 30 downhill runs on the lifts, compared to 5 downhill runs in the backcountry. If you think lift tickets are expensive, compare the cost of one lift ticket to the cost five weekend drives out to the backcountry.

Also, go to some cross-country ski areas and get some lessons. Try skating on cross-country skis or (better yet) skating skis. Again, skiing in groomed, controlled conditions is the best way to learn quickly without a high frustration factor. You'll need all of these skills for backcountry skiing.

Once you decide to start skiing in the backcountry, you've got to decide the answer to this question:

"Do I want to tour the backcountry and still have fun going downhill, or do I want to climb hills with the #1 purpose of going downhill?"

If it's the former, then you want telemark gear. The natural flex of tele boots are much more comfortable for touring, but the gear can still be beefy enough for cranking turns. You can also get some relatively light telemark gear that is even more geared towards touring than downhill.

If it's the latter, then you want AT gear (alpine touring).

You can do either (tour or downhill) with either (tele or AT), and the difference is not absolute, but in general it is easier to tour in tele and downhill in AT gear.

Oh, yeah, and unless you're some huffing dope-head 14-year-old punk who wear Vans, a home parole ankle monitor, and baggy pants that show your underwear, then it's best to just steer clear of snowboarding. And snowboarders. (;

Someday, check out the videos here, especially "The Dark Side" (if you can get it to work).
http://www.tahoebackcountry.net/video/default.htm
If you can't the video to work, send me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy, the Dark Side is a hilarious and educational video that's worth watching.

josegarcia wrote:one, do i gotta be a “no fall” skier to have fun in the bc.

It's like climbing, you can choose your poison. You can choose a pleasant class 2 hike to the top of a peak or you can choose to free-solo a gnarly 5.11. You don't necessarily have to climb to the top of the U-Notch for your first descent...... 99.999% of my backcountry skiing is a total blast and does not involve the risk of death.

No risk of getting hurt if I fall here! (Upper Palisade Glacier)

FUN! (Palisade Glacier moraine)

NO FUN! (North Pal and the U-Notch, my 0.001% dangerous skiing)

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Skiing is worse than cocaine my friend... on the wallet.

Oh so true!

To echo the advice of others, get some avy instruction before you even consider venturing out of bounds.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:As to telemark, I would reiterate my advice - the place to learn this wiley technique is at the resort. School of Milktoast suggests it takes 500 faceplants to get good at tele. 500.

DMT

That is so damn funny!

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:16 pm

I saw a bumper sticker upon returning from an enjoyable day of climbing at the Leap a number of years back: "Randonee is French for can't tele." While I've got what I consider a bitchin' AT setup right now & am totally content, my French climbing partner, upon seeing said sticker, was not amused. :lol:

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Diggler wrote:I saw a bumper sticker upon returning from an enjoyable day of climbing at the Leap a number of years back: "Randonee is French for can't tele." While I've got what I consider a bitchin' AT setup right now & am totally content, my French climbing partner, upon seeing said sticker, was not amused. :lol:

Another school of thought is that AT stands for "already tele'd"...and saw the light :wink:

SWH

by SWH » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah, but telemark is french for "wait for me at the bottom".

Ed F

by Ed F » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:10 pm

SWH wrote:Yeah, but telemark is french for "wait for me at the bottom".

Nope. Telemark is Norwegian for "slow hippie." :D

Jakester

by Jakester » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:53 pm

96avs01 wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Skiing is worse than cocaine my friend... on the wallet.

Oh so true!

I have to third this. Bought what I thought was a sweet brand new AT setup two years ago. Don't even want to tell you what I paid. This year I decided that setup is too heavy, so I bought a new rig. Light gear is definitely not easy on the wallet.

P.S. I've got a sweet pair of Volkl Katana's mounted with Marker Duke's for sale.

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander