Realistic Denali budget?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
crysent

Realistic Denali budget?

by crysent » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi all,

Been looking at guided climbs of Denali, I have used guides before, and while I am familiar with the advantages of using a guide the obvious disadvantage is the price. I'm wondering if some people who have climbed Denali in recent years can give me an idea of the sort of budget they used. Most guided climbs of Denali are around 6k, just curious what those have done it without guides have spent.

thanks.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm

There is a thread about this in the Alaska forum. It really depends upon if you have the gear already. If you already have the expedition clothes, boots, tent, sleeping bag etc it will cost around $1,500 or so. If not, tack on another 2k for gear.

Haliku

by Haliku » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:27 pm

+1. Even cheaper method is to rent any gear you don't need other than for this climb. I used Whittaker Mountaineering for my -40F sleeping bag. If you go guided you still have to pay for gear, some food and your ticket to AK. Closer to 8-10k USD by that point. Cheers!

ExcitibleBoy wrote:There is a thread about this in the Alaska forum. It really depends upon if you have the gear already. If you already have the expedition clothes, boots, tent, sleeping bag etc it will cost around $1,500 or so. If not, tack on another 2k for gear.

Return to Canada and Alaska