ATTN: Grivel tool users...

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Vicles

ATTN: Grivel tool users...

by Vicles » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 am

As I was sharpening my picks today I noticed that they were crooked! Only slightly on one tool, but very noticable on the other! I was bummed to say the least. I have never mixed climbed on them, so torquing is not the issue (and I can't believe I've never noticed it before!)

They are the Matrix Tech's (w/ the black ...handle). I suggest going and checking your tools right now. To check mine, I put the head towards me, w/ the pick point towards the sky and tried to line up the pick w/ the shaft via line of sight. If there are more of us "crooked tool owners" I feel Grivel needs to know!

I have not contacted them yet myself...

Vic

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Picks get bent all the time. Don't get bent out of shape.

Sorry, bad pun. But seriously, don't worry about it. Or buy a new pick. It certainly didn't come like that from the factory - it's hot forged.

Vicles

by Vicles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:57 pm

So, after some serious eyeballing here's the skinny...

One tool def. has a bent pick. So after some time in a vice, i bent it back best i could. not perfect but fairly straight, not a prob.

The other tool's pick however is arrow straight...but does not line up w/ the shaft...I believe that the actual steel head that the pick is bolted to is not on the shaft straight. I think w/ a brand new pick it would still head to the left.

To be honest, it's not THAT bad and I've never noticed it climbing. Also, given that ice is not perfectly flat and the tool prob sits un-perfectly in your hand when you swing it shouldn't matter...but I'm a perfectionist and wish my $200 tool was perfect too. oh well, I might try and warranty them in the spring.

brandon

by brandon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:48 pm

I've got a pretty good eye for symmetry, lines, etc. I'm a home builder and finish carpenter.

7 out of 8 of my ice tools DO NOT line up perfectly when observed the way you describe. I've noticed it years ago. Maybe 3 to 5 degrees off perfectly straight. It is worth switching up hands, as the idiosyncrocies of your swing may match up with the varialbility of the tools. You may find you have 'left' or 'right' preferences, especially when swinging tired.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Just checked my cobras and they are both as perfectly aligned as I can see. Too bad, that would have been a good excuse for some shitty swings when I got tired last week...

Return to Gear