WTB: Marmot Mica, Arcteryx Alpha SL, OR Zealot, Houdini etc

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
zeroforhire

WTB: Marmot Mica, Arcteryx Alpha SL, OR Zealot, Houdini etc

by zeroforhire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Looking for lightweight alpine climbing shell... mostly climb in softshell/driclime but it would be nice to have a better shell for when it gets a litle nasty. Looking for size Medium mens.

Send me your offerings!

no avatar
sneakyracer

Re: WTB: Marmot Mica, Arcteryx Alpha SL, OR Zealot, Houdini

by sneakyracer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 am

zeroforhire wrote:Looking for lightweight alpine climbing shell... mostly climb in softshell/driclime but it would be nice to have a better shell for when it gets a litle nasty. Looking for size Medium mens.

Send me your offerings!

Hi, I have nothing for sale but I can suggest another model to your list! I have a Mountain Hardwear Typhoon shell, yes its paclite but its awesome. Its light and packs small even though it has all the features (nice wp pit zips and a hood that fits over a helmet) of the much more expensive pro shells. I have really tested it under very heavy driving rain (20-30mph wind head on) and it kept me bone dry. Fabric is a tad too smooth on the inside but it actually breathes well.

divnamite

by divnamite » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:45 pm

I have the older version of full zip Patagonia houdini, I don't think they are hardshell. If you want it, PM me.

jrc

by jrc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm

Houdini is definitely not a hardshell. If you can get your hands on a spectar pullover I think they were only 9oz. To me it looks like the lightest shell on the market is TNF Triumph at 5.5 oz!!!

no avatar
zeroforhire

by zeroforhire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:49 pm

While the Houdini is not a hardshell, it is definately a jacket that I would be interested in.

I used to have the specter full zip.... I should have never gotten rid of it. Thanks for all the input... Keep the offers coming!

peterh

by peterh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:16 pm

jrc wrote:Houdini is definitely not a hardshell. If you can get your hands on a spectar pullover I think they were only 9oz. To me it looks like the lightest shell on the market is TNF Triumph at 5.5 oz!!!

I've been looking around for lightweight hard shells recently, and I've found the following jackets (prices are roughly MSRP, although you can find most of these for less):

* NF Triumph (5.5oz, NF Hyvent, $170)
    * Marmot Mica (6oz, Marmot Membrain Strata, $130)
    * Marmot Nano (7oz, Gore Paclite, $250)
    * Marmot Precip (12oz, Marmot Precip, $100)
    * NF Venture (13oz, NF Hyvent DT, $100)
    * Arc'teryx Alpha LT (13oz, Gore Proshell, $500)
    * Golite Spectre (14oz, Gore PacLite, $270)
    ... there start to be many jackets around the 1lb mark, e.g.
    * Marmot Minimalist (16oz, Gore Paclite, $200)
    * Mountain Hardwear Typhoon (16oz, Gore Paclite, $200)

Does anyone have experience with any of these really lightweight waterproof/breathable shells?

I'm also considering buying an ultra-light hard shell to wear over a soft-shell (Patagonia Ascensionist) on Sierra winter climbing trips, in case the weather turns really nasty. However I'm concerned that some of these really light shells won't be truly waterproof if I get stuck in a cold and wet winter storm. I get uneasy when I read online reviews of some of these jackets in which the reviewers got wet through the jacket (Marmot Precip, NF Venture). By the same token I hear other reviewers love them.

That said, since the goal is never to wear the hard-shell, one could argue that waterproofing is far more important than breathability, and maybe I should just buy something cheap and non-breathable made of coated nylon.

no avatar
zeroforhire

by zeroforhire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 pm

peterh wrote:
jrc wrote:Houdini is definitely not a hardshell. If you can get your hands on a spectar pullover I think they were only 9oz. To me it looks like the lightest shell on the market is TNF Triumph at 5.5 oz!!!

I've been looking around for lightweight hard shells recently, and I've found the following jackets (prices are roughly MSRP, although you can find most of these for less):

* NF Triumph (5.5oz, NF Hyvent, $170)
    * Marmot Mica (6oz, Marmot Membrain Strata, $130)
    * Marmot Nano (7oz, Gore Paclite, $250)
    * Marmot Precip (12oz, Marmot Precip, $100)
    * NF Venture (13oz, NF Hyvent DT, $100)
    * Arc'teryx Alpha LT (13oz, Gore Proshell, $500)
    * Golite Spectre (14oz, Gore PacLite, $270)
    ... there start to be many jackets around the 1lb mark, e.g.
    * Marmot Minimalist (16oz, Gore Paclite, $200)
    * Mountain Hardwear Typhoon (16oz, Gore Paclite, $200)

Does anyone have experience with any of these really lightweight waterproof/breathable shells?

I'm also considering buying an ultra-light hard shell to wear over a soft-shell (Patagonia Ascensionist) on Sierra winter climbing trips, in case the weather turns really nasty. However I'm concerned that some of these really light shells won't be truly waterproof if I get stuck in a cold and wet winter storm. I get uneasy when I read online reviews of some of these jackets in which the reviewers got wet through the jacket (Marmot Precip, NF Venture). By the same token I hear other reviewers love them.

That said, since the goal is never to wear the hard-shell, one could argue that waterproofing is far more important than breathability, and maybe I should just buy something cheap and non-breathable made of coated nylon.

I would also look into the marmot essence.

Return to Gear