Planning a western U.S. roadtrip

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
jonesa37

Planning a western U.S. roadtrip

by jonesa37 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 am

So i am planning a roadtrip starting in washington going down to california and then back up through utah. I want to hit yosemite, bishop, redrocks, jtree, and indian creek. If anyone has camping suggetions, other good advice to help me on my journey i would greatly appreciate this!

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:50 am

Not clear where you'll be in Utah, but if you'll be around the Bryce Canyon area, avoid the crowds (season dependent) and stay at Kodachrome Basin State Park. Some excellent hiking and beautiful rock formations. I don't know whether they allow technical climbing or not, however. Also, Capitol Reef National Park is a must, especially if you have a 4WD vehicle. If you're driving along Highway 12 (extremely scenic with plenty of hiking and canyoneering opportunities), don't miss Hell's Backbone Grill--arguably the best restaurant in the state. The menu is locally grown, so varies with the season. I had breakfast with elk sausage, to give you an idea of the fair.

If you'll be around Moab, you can dry camp (car camp) in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. There are campsites that are further into the area, along the Jeep trail (Fins and Things). They are a bit more secluded (there will be the occasional Jeep), and some are accessible to even 2WD vehicles. There are also some campsites south of Moab along the Anticline Overlook access road. There's also White Rim Trail, but don't plan anything overnight there unless you have a hard-to-get permit. And don't plan anything all there unless you have a 4WD--there is technical climbing if you do.

In northern California, if you are prepared to backpack, a stay in the Tall Tree Grove is pretty nice and very secluded. We arrived on July 4th weekend, no reservations, and the entire national and state park was booked. Except the backcountry. You can't stay in the tall trees themselves, but 1/4-mile past them along a very pretty creek. We saw no one our entire stay.

--mark d.

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:59 pm

When are you planning on going. Weather wise, Yosemite and Josh don't really line up for ideal conditions on the same trip, e.g., spring is cold in the Valley but good for Josh, etc. Still you can make it work if you're flexible.

As far as camping, at Josh and the Valley, you're pretty much limited to what's in the park, although there's an armpit of site on BLM land near Josh. Lots of campgrounds near Bishop, as well as another gross BLM site too. For the later, where you should stay really depends on where you're planning on spending the bulk of your time.

You're not going to Smith?

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:09 am

thanks guys,
so more details on my trip. I will probably be leaving in early june, I know that its going to be hot down in the mojave, but I am used to it, I spent last summer camping for six weeks there for geology field camp. I was thinking that the climbing in the southern most spots will be only in the morning and early eveing, but with longer days and no approach this will work i think. I might be outfitting the family van into a camping van, so places that I can just pull up and sleep would be rad. Food is super costly down there in the small towns as I remember from last summer getting ripped off in Barstow and 29 palms. Also any must climbs from multi-pitch routes, to boulder problems, to sport climbs, and hikes suggestions would be sweet! Thanks again!

P.S. naw i don't think I will hit smith on the trip I have been there a couple of times and its not too far from my place in washington. But if I am still hungry for more climbing on my way back home I will probably hit it up. :D

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 pm

There's plenty of climbing in the Moab and Monticello area if you haven't taken a look at that. I saw climbers aplenty in Indian Creek and swarming over Fisher Towers when I was there last fall.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Hummmmm late june...... You might wish to add a few days stay in Idyllwild, Suicide and Tahquitz are prime rock climbing. IMHO Josh is a waste of your time, at that time of year.......

You might wish to also hit "The Needles" up out of Porterville......free camping there courtesy of the Access Fund, And a quick side trip from there would be to do a little hiking/climbing and go to the DomeLands, see Bart dome, and ChurchDome.

California is in full summer mode in June, hit the Mts...... Just my .02 worth.

The free camping in Idyllwild is sort of hush hush.......same goes with Josh.

Pm me if you wish ........ to learn more.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Good suggestions from Guyzo. Idyllwild is definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. It's my favorite So Cal area. I think lots of locals feel the same way.

The Needles aren't that far out of the way either if you're heading south from the Valley. Food's not cheap up there but the camping's free and the climbing AWESOME. Probably only worth the side trip if you're a solid 5.9 trad leader, though there is some easier stuff.

Sounds like you've got the Josh thing dialed temp wise. It can actually be quite nice out there that time of year. Bishop will likely be hotter. Not sure what you're going to climb there in June unless you're heading to higher elevations. To be honest, given the choice between climbing there and, say, the Needles or Tuolumne, it comes in a distant third.

If you want route suggestions, you need to give us a hint of your ability.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 pm

needles are sick, only spent a day there, wish I had more time.

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Depending on the conditions, Tuolumne Meadows might be accessible when you go- check to see if route 120 is open or not. I would definitely recommend Lovers Leap as well (S Lake Tahoe), & if you have a day or 2, Donner Summit area (N Lake Tahoe) has perfect rock & some classic trad routes too. If you go to the Leap, PM me before you go, & I can give some recommendations on climbs there- more excellent climbs than you can shake a stick at!

While you'd be talking access through the snow, the climbing could be excellent on some of the classic E side routes at that time (I did Whitney's E buttress last May & conditions were excellent (we also had the route to ourselves- this happens next to never in the summer/fall))- Mt. Whitney, Russell, Palisades, etc.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:18 pm

lets see I can lead comfortably 5.9 trad and some 5.10, sport I can comfortably lead 5.11 and some 5.12. I am more into trad right now after doing some alpine leads in the north cascades. I really want to do some sweet cracks and some sweet multi-pitch routes

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 am

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but you can camp anywhere in a national forest for free. I'd get a map showing all of the national forests along your intended route.

I second the recommedation for Tuolomne.

In Bishop, you can camp out in the Buttermilks, but I also like to stay in town at Brown's campground. If you're not staying at Brown's and need a shower, usually you can get a cheap shower at the municipal pool for a few bucks. That applies just about anywhere you go.

Return to General