what 14,000er in co is closet to denver airport?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Steven Cross

Re: what 14,000er in co is closet to denver airport?

by Steven Cross » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 pm

snoopdhani wrote: ...but dont have that much time travel.

And how technical?
I would prefer just an easy/moderate hike as opposed to something more serious.
I will be in there in at the end of March. Thanks.

This is really simple. If you don't have much time to travel, you don't have time to hike a 14er in March. There usually is not such thing as an easy/moderate 14er in March. If you would have done your research you would have known this. I would say your best bet for short travel, moderate hike would be Mt. Sniktau (13,234 feet), Colorado Mines Mtn. (12,497 feet) with the option of doing Mt Flora (13,146 feet). Snowshoes are recommended for these hikes. If you don't have snowshoes, and good winter gear you might want to just take a nice drive through the rockies.

colint

by colint » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 pm

I think you should be able to do the Keyhole route on Long's Peak in March just fine. Remember, bring plenty of water and a jacket, and some granola bars.

no avatar
mconnell

Re: what 14,000er in co is closet to denver airport?

by mconnell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Steven Cross wrote:
snoopdhani wrote: ...but dont have that much time travel.

And how technical?
I would prefer just an easy/moderate hike as opposed to something more serious.
I will be in there in at the end of March. Thanks.

This is really simple. If you don't have much time to travel, you don't have time to hike a 14er in March.

Last time I went to the top of Pikes in winter, it took 6 hours round trip. There is nothing magical about the calendar that makes it harder to climb a 14er. It depends on conditions (of the mountain and the climber). (You're probably right in your recommendations, I just hate blanket statements.)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Why does it have to be a 14er? You seem to be looking for a hike with an easy approach, so why not drive up to Loveland Pass, where you can start nice and high and wander the ridges?

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:30 pm

colint wrote:I think you should be able to do the Keyhole route on Long's Peak in March just fine. Remember, bring plenty of water and a jacket, and some granola bars.

I hope your joking....

colint

by colint » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm

Roam Around wrote:
colint wrote:I think you should be able to do the Keyhole route on Long's Peak in March just fine. Remember, bring plenty of water and a jacket, and some granola bars.

I hope your joking....

I suppose I should make it absolutely clear that I am joking. Although even if someone took this seriously, they would figure out within a mile of the trailhead that it was a joke.

no avatar
Roam Around

by Roam Around » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Why does it have to be a 14er? You seem to be looking for a hike with an easy approach, so why not drive up to Loveland Pass, where you can start nice and high and wander the ridges?

Good suggestion - check out Grizzly Peak from Loveland Pass - you could extend it to bag Torreys Peak as well.

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 am

or go to Hoosier Pass for Red Mountain or North Star Peak - they are 13ers - but you have a good chance to freeze your butt off on both of them when you hit the summit ridge

Previous

Return to Colorado