DMM 'camalots'

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
rhyang

DMM 'camalots'

by rhyang » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Stole this off cc.com ..

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/news.asp?nid=216&ngroup=1

Familiar design, eh ? They will call them the Dragons.

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah, It is exciting. It will be nice to have another double axle on the market, competition! If they keep the same or similar range, and manage to be lighter too (shouldn't be too hard to be lighter), then it is going to be interesting!

kheegster

by kheegster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:13 am

That looks really sexy.

Hope they keep it at a competitive price.

no avatar
crackers

Re: DMM 'camalots'

by crackers » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 am

rhyang wrote:Stole this off cc.com ..

Familiar design, eh ? They will call them the Dragons.

I'll take some pictures next week at the trade show and post them...

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 am

I want to know how much they'll cost, coming from a company that charges $30 for a non-locking biner, and based on the fact that camalots are proven to work great, I'm sticking with BD.

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 pm

jschrock wrote:I can't blame them...but blatant rip-offs (with no apparent or significant improvements) are a little disappointing.

Sounds like a different cam angle than BD's though - which I think are at 14.5 degrees :?: ...so maybe less range... :?:

I'll stick with BD and Metolius.

edit:

range looks identical:
DMM - 20mm - 114mm w/ six cams
BD - 19.6mm - 114.7 w/ # 0.5 thru #4 - BD by a nose. :P

Of all the DMM stuff I've used or tried, I like their alloy offset nuts the most. Which of course are blatant ripoffs of the HB's :) Well, and the larger size Peenuts..

Hmm, wonder if the Dragon's will require that I go out and buy epoxy .. :lol:

LithiumMetalman

Sexy!

by LithiumMetalman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:06 am

Those are some great looking cams, and double slings!!!

If the camming angle is less than BD's then I would def be interested.

I do like the dual axle idea, though would def be more interested in holding power over range.

Lighter weight is always a plus, however is there not an offset in durability to achieve lighter weight? Could there be a diminishing rate of returns here?

JackCarr

by JackCarr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:23 pm

I do love DMM gear.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:10 pm

They definitely look cool. I need some cams soon to start my rack. I doubt I will get these because I can't imagine them being any cheaper and BD cams arent bad anyway. I have never seen them but I like the idea of the adjustable slings. It will be really interesting to see how they compare to BD cams. You would think it would be pretty stupid to release a new line of cams if they didnt have some huge advantages. Time will tell

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 pm

mbmsfreerider wrote:They definitely look cool. I need some cams soon to start my rack. I doubt I will get these because I can't imagine them being any cheaper and BD cams arent bad anyway. I have never seen them but I like the idea of the adjustable slings. It will be really interesting to see how they compare to BD cams. You would think it would be pretty stupid to release a new line of cams if they didnt have some huge advantages. Time will tell

They will likely be more expensive, but all cams are expensive - don't make your decision based on price. The DMMs are designed to be lighter than the BDs, and that's a pretty big advantage.

no avatar
mbmsfreerider

by mbmsfreerider » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:16 am

I am sure it is. But at this point I think I'll go with BDs since they are proven and reliable. It is nice that they cost less though. If the Dragons prove to be safer or stronger then I would definitely be more interested in them. I am just trying to start real climbing so cheaper is better as long as it isn't with the sacrifice of safety. Depending on the price difference though I'll still consider them.

Snowball

by Snowball » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:42 am

yeah.... i cant wait for these...!

Blair

by Blair » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Sick lookin cams!

Thanks for sharin the pics, they look great!

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Just saw this on rc.com -

http://rockclimbingcompany.blogspot.com ... -cams.html

Some changes to the design -

The Dragons now feature an anodised 7075 aluminium thumb grip – this patented feature allows the Dragon to use a doubled 8mm dyneema sling to reduce the number of quickdraws that climbers need to carry.

The doubled 8mm dyneema sling can’t be used on a standard wire loop because under load the loop collapses and the dyneema then cuts through the wire at around 10kN (the same does not happen on the DMM 4CUs because the rear spacer stops the wire collapsing.).

The aluminium thumb grip is massively strong and lighter than the steel wire it replaced.

Snowball

by Snowball » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 am

wow, those cams look mighty tasty! i always hoped the UKers would make them one day (dual-axle cams). happy to take em over the now-china-made BDs... i got a little gear envy since i cant afford to replace my WC rack with these... :x hhehehee

Next

Return to Gear