Best Sierra/Mt. Whitney Guidebook

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

A couple of points. Since it's early in the season, you may want to consider the approach to some of the peaks when narrowing down your list. Although just about everything in the Sierra has been climbed just about any time of year, you'll be walking on snow alot.

In light of that, if you've got limited time and want to be productive, it might be better to focus on a couple of areas and hit a bunch of peaks in each. Say, camp around Iceberg Lake, hit Whitney Russell. From there, since Sill's on your list, head up the N. Fork of Big Pine Creek, do Sill, possible N. Pal, Winchell, etc.

Finally, guidebooks can and do have inaccurate info. Several years back I climbed Clyde Minaret and we relied exclusively on the Sierra 100 Classics book for descent info, which is absolutely wrong and we got really jammed up. When I got home I looked at both Secor and the old Roper guide and they were dead on. This is not a common thing, and the first edition of the Classics book has become well known for its problems (despite being a great guidebook ironically enough), but it only has to happen once to get burned. Short version: it pays to check a second source.

Previous

Return to California