Eiger film released in the States this wk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
BLong

by BLong » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Who the Hell wants a dubbed movie? Read the subtitles !!

Exactly. Dubbing movies takes away from their artist elements. Granted this film played too much on the love story, the drama, etc. and not enough on the art of climbing.

I really don't like that they compared it to "Touching The Void" on the posters. The North Face didn't even come close to Touching The void.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:33 pm

CClaude wrote:talking about Eiger films, can you rent the John Harlin Jr film yet... I think its called "The Alps" or something non-descriptive like that. If its anything like the book, it should be really good.

I watched the whole thing on youtube. It's really good.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:42 am

I had the distinct pleasure of viewing the film for the first time in Handjam's wonderful theater this past summer. It is an OUTSTANDING film, and not to mention, it's well photographed ad the sound is fabulous. I'll have to buy it for my own collection. Thanks again Handjam!

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:20 am

HandjamMasterC wrote:
I really don't like that they compared it to "Touching The Void" on the posters. The North Face didn't even come close to Touching The void.

I've got Touching The Void and the John Harlin The Alps movie too. I think as a movie Norwand is much better than either one. I've watched it 4 times so far.

Personally, I like good films, and find climbing videos completely boring. Norwand is a good film IMO.

Did you buy this off of Amazon, or where?

no avatar
nhluhr

Re: waiting for the end

by nhluhr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

gorida wrote:I didn't like it at all. I knew that historical facts had to be a little bit twisted for show's sake, but this went too far. I was all the time waiting for the end.
PS: Joe Simpson has my deepest respect, but I was even disappointed with his documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc . Maybe it is just me.
So what, in your opinion, was "too far" in terms of twisting historical facts?

Why were you so disappointed with Simpson's documentary?

dyusem

by dyusem » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 am

North Face (Nordwand) is opening Friday 2/19 at the Rafael Film Center (which many people consider the best independent film theater in the country):

http://www.cafilm.org/rfc/films/1355.html

seano

by seano » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:11 am

nhluhr wrote:So what, in your opinion, was "too far" in terms of twisting historical facts?
For me, Fraulein Mandatory Love Interest wandering out onto the face with a flashlight, spending the night there, and being alive in the morning, was one step too far. The truth was dramatic enough.

climbncookie

by climbncookie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 pm

I just finished watching it and loved it. I think they hit a great balance, which is very tough to achieve.

However; I agree with Seano:

seano wrote:
nhluhr wrote:So what, in your opinion, was "too far" in terms of twisting historical facts?
For me, Fraulein Mandatory Love Interest wandering out onto the face with a flashlight, spending the night there, and being alive in the morning, was one step too far. The truth was dramatic enough.

They did cross the line at the end, but I'm glad they didn't do a huge flashback at the beginning to show previous a previous relationship etc. instead. I think it hit a solid balance.

The story of Kurz, Hinterstoisser, will always be a wonder, such a tragic set of circumstances.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am

climbncookie wrote:I just finished watching it and loved it. I think they hit a great balance, which is very tough to achieve.

However; I agree with Seano:

seano wrote:

They did cross the line at the end, but I'm glad they didn't do a huge flashback at the beginning to show previous a previous relationship etc. instead. I think it hit a solid balance.

The story of Kurz, Hinterstoisser, will always be a wonder, such a tragic set of circumstances.

Yep, her wandering out there was a bit much. . . But, overall, I thought they did the "love-relationship," thing, pretty decently. They could have flashbacked, as mentioned, and really gone over the top with the whole thing. But, twas present but sublte, not to mention her staying "pure" for her true love, rather than succumbing to her slimy, self-interested boss; ie. she didn't sleep with the guy, and when he was ready to abandon the project and head back to the city, she stayed.
Not to mention a great film that captured well the climbing of the day, and the essence of climbing something so formidable. I loved the part where Kurz pops his head out of the tent to view the clearing night sky, wakes his partner, and says "it's time." Yahoo!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm

I think I'll go see it this weekend. Sounds like fun :)

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:27 am

ontheslope wrote:Reminds me of the Beckoning Silence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc
I'll admit, the new Eiger Movie sounds good.

Do they have this on DVD?? I read the book and found it to be pretty good.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:49 am

ontheslope wrote:I acually never read the book of the Beckoning Silence. Does it talk mostly about Tony's climb?

Actually, it's all kinds of different climbing stories and the scares he goes through and friends that get lost over time. The Eiger climb is the last story in the book. I highly recommend it; Joe Simpson is a good writer.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Just saw it this past Friday night at a cinema in Washington DC. Good crowd. Thought it was well done. The climbing footage was impressive.

Enjoy

adventurer

by adventurer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

My wife and I, along with two friends, also saw it at the E Street Cinema in DC on Friday night. We caught the 7pm show and it's a good thing we had purchased tickets in advance because the show was sold out.

The death of Tony Kurz was depicted pretty close to how it was described by Heinrich Harrer in " The White Spider" except, of course, for the presence of Tony's girlfriend which was apparently just for dramatization in the movie.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Just saw it last Friday at the free REI showing here in Minneapolis. Not the best place to watch a movie as the conference room floor is flat so there was a lot of looking around the two fat guys in front of us. We did like the movie but felt compelled to go straight home and research what really happened. What's really cool is my GF and I are heading to Switzerland the end of May so it got us a little excited. I think I will be doing a lot of reading in the coming months about the Eiger. Very neat history.

PreviousNext

Return to General