tushar backcountry skiing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
mountainal

tushar backcountry skiing

by mountainal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:20 am

Thinking about going to the tushar's next weekend for spring break. camp out for a night or two. I have Tyson Bradley's book, but just thought I'd see the opinion of the crowd for the nice lines and maybe a good camping location.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: tushar backcountry skiing

by Dan Shorb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:11 pm

mountainal wrote:Thinking about going to the tushar's next weekend for spring break. camp out for a night or two. I have Tyson Bradley's book, but just thought I'd see the opinion of the crowd for the nice lines and maybe a good camping location.

I probably won't tell you anything too new or informative, but can babble a bit on this topic, and will confirm that place is worth a visit.
That place is an amazing playground with tons of sweet lines. You'll be happy with just about anything there. The only big lines I've done there were in the spring cycle, so I can't comment on how safe/good they'd be in winter, but Belknap and Baldy's north sides are long and sick. Mt. Holly is the most accessible, then Delano, if looking for peaks (obviously the steeper lines are norh and east facing there. If looking for just good skiing, there is tons of tree lines and a full week of lower angle or protected slopes can easily be had from the old ski area. I used to have a pass at Elk Meadows, and we would go big from there some days. As you know, it really depends on the conditions you find. Some things to take into consideration are that snowmobiles run throughout pieces of that area (which can be kinda windswept and uninteresting to skiers), the snowpack can be dicey, and a small crew for setting tracks to remote lines helps out a lot (or a snowmobile... if you don't like peace and quiet). Pits, ski cuts, and escape routes, 1 at a time crossing slopes, are essential to a safe Tushar experience, and, if used to the Wasatch, the snow pack is a bit more dangerous, like La Sals or Colorado. Have tons o fun.

mountainal

by mountainal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

sounds a little daunting but fun. I'd like to do some of the peaks but if it's looking to hairy at least the tree's sound to be a good backup plan. according to the udot website, they still plow up to the old ski area so at least access shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate the feedback

mountainal

by mountainal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

will be heading down there this weekend. leaving saturday and probably coming back tuesday. Anybody else going to be down that way?

TyeDyeTwins

by TyeDyeTwins » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 pm

We were tossing around the idea of going down there as well. Just wondering where and how are you going to camp? Happy trails out there. Oh yeah, have you been there before?

mountainal

by mountainal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 am

we'd either take a tent and go off into the trees somewhere. Or my buddy has a shell on his truck and we may just stay in the back of that. I have never been so that's why I wanted to go. He has been before though and skied Delano

Return to Utah