Best Teton Range guide book?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Greeneggs

Best Teton Range guide book?

by Greeneggs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Heading out to the Tetons in June and hoping someone can recommend a good climbing/backpacking guide book....thanks!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm

For backpacking, Falcon's Hiking Grand Teton National Park is good, with descriptions, profiles, and mileages for several backpacking trips.

For climbing, Thomas Turiano's Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone has the standard routes on the major peaks.

There are numerous route pages right here on SP for scrambling and technical routes.

Hapey McHape

by Hapey McHape » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Leigh Ortenburger's A Climbers Guide to the Teton's is the bible for the Teton range. It has every climbing route and more.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Hapey McHape wrote:Leigh Ortenburger's A Climbers Guide to the Teton's is the bible for the Teton range. It has every climbing route and more.

+1. Great book.

Greeneggs

by Greeneggs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Awesome, much appreciated!

aglane

by aglane » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 am

Ortenburger and Jackson, by all means. And it's enough for hikes in the range as well as climbing.

Rebecca Woods' Jackson Hole Hikes is very good on the larger area (including Togwatee Pass--a great place for an acclimatization hike for those driving in from the east, start at 9500').

And if you're a book-whore, Rossiter's Teton Classics is good, with more detailed presentation on some of the fifty [only!] climbs he describes.

In the meantime, read Jack Turner's Teewinot to keep your spirits up and to hear reasons for getting out in the backcountry.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

For hiking my two favorites are Rebecca Woods' "Jackson Hole Hikes" and Paul Lawrence's Sierra Club Tote Book "Hiking The Teton Backcountry." I have not read the entire Falcon Guide but was impressed to find Moose Basin Divide was in it.

welle

Re: Best Teton Range guide book?

by welle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Greeneggs wrote:Heading out to the Tetons in June and hoping someone can recommend a good climbing/backpacking guide book....thanks!

I hope you aware of it, but prepare for June to still have winter conditions on the peaks and in the passes. Backcountry campsites will be buried in snow. If you are looking to rock climb and summer backpack, June is way too early (even July some years).

aglane

Re: Best Teton Range guide book?

by aglane » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 am

I hope you aware of it, but prepare for June to still have winter conditions on the peaks and in the passes. Backcountry campsites will be buried in snow. If you are looking to rock climb and summer backpack, June is way too early (even July some years).

Good cautions, these, but I'm not quite so pessimistic: Baxter's is usually ok by mid-June, some south-facing climbs may well be dry (Death Canyon), and Blacktail Butte, Hoback, etc. sport-climbing should be ok. Upper Exum on the Grand is just one example of a high peaks route that could be largely open and dry. As usual check with the Jenny Lake climbing rangers.

b.

by b. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 am

I agree with the above. I wouldn't call June winter conditions, but I've been up high in some pretty snowy conditions. A couple of years ago we almost didn't have water up high on the 4th of July, June was pretty bare that year. The Tetons are in a down year for snow right now, but that could all change in the coming months. Depending on the type of climbing you're after, May and June can offer preferable conditions.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)