Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
grason1129

Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps

by grason1129 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:21 pm

I used the Public Domain USGS topographical maps to create what I hope is a great resource for hikers in the Mount Hood area.

Please note the web page is graphic heavy and could take about 20-30 seconds for maps to load on broadband.

http://hrjonline.com/?p=144

These maps are located on my new blog and it has a large section devoted to a multi-year west coast climbing tour of mine. Please ignore the unpolished nature of my site as it is a live beta at this point and only launched a few days ago.

Please hold off judgment on the site for a month or so and enjoy the maps!!

billisfree

by billisfree » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:01 am

Naw, not worth it.

Why not download GoogleEarth? It's free.

Google Earth will generate 3D pictures - and even color in the terrain correctly.

scottmitch

by scottmitch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 am

cool thanks

no avatar
nhluhr

Re: Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps

by nhluhr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:42 pm

grason1129 wrote:I used the Public Domain USGS topographical maps to create what I hope is a great resource for hikers in the Mount Hood area.

Please note the web page is graphic heavy and could take about 20-30 seconds for maps to load on broadband.

http://hrjonline.com/?p=144

These maps are located on my new blog and it has a large section devoted to a multi-year west coast climbing tour of mine. Please ignore the unpolished nature of my site as it is a live beta at this point and only launched a few days ago.

Please hold off judgment on the site for a month or so and enjoy the maps!!
Not sure who wrote your html for you but you REALLY need to rethink how the images are displayed. Right now, you have the full size (15000x15000) jpgs loading just to display the website and then you're using the IMG tag scalar to make them display smaller. This is bad form and a complete waste of bandwidth. You should use photoshop or some other program to make an acutal thumbnail of the correct size. This way, loading your page won't take so long and then the user can decide if they want to download the fullsize or not.

As it is, simply loading your website, I already downloaded both of those obnioxiously large jpg files without having to click through to them.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for the map, will come in handy!

Jakester

by Jakester » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the free map!

billisfree wrote:Naw, not worth it.

Why not download GoogleEarth? It's free.

Google Earth will generate 3D pictures - and even color in the terrain correctly.

A free full size topo not worth a couple mouse clicks? Google Earth is a fun program but c'mon man.

lowlands

by lowlands » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks, hopefully I'll get to use it someday.

grason1129

by grason1129 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry about the HTML I am going to make some thumbnails for the maps and the 15Kx15K is not loaded on the page only linked.

Google earth does not have the USGS topographical data nor does it allow you to manipulate the maps with programs like photoshop. A jpeg is much more portable then having google earth and an internet connection.

EDIT: Replaced all the links on the page so now it only loads about 100Kbytes of thumbnails and the blue links are directly to the massive Jpegs you want to download.

Moni

by Moni » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Most of Google Earth uses older imagery - updated NAIP imagery is as recent as last year is avaialble and Google Earth is typically at least 5 years old. Completely worthless, if the images had lots of clouds (go to the Seven Devils area for example - most of it was clouded over).

A good topo with good grid lines (UTM preferred) is still a needed item in the field.

billisfree

by billisfree » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm

[quote="Moni"]Most of Google Earth uses older imagery - updated NAIP imagery is as recent as last year is avaialble and Google Earth is typically at least 5 years old. Completely worthless, if the images had lots of clouds (go to the Seven Devils area for example - most of it was clouded over).

There's a button near top - that allows one to select the date(s) of the image overlaid on the map. The most recent image of Mt. Hood is not the best (it's gray). Move it backwards a bit to get the colors.

Eventually, I assume they will provide both winter and summer images.

johngo

Re: Massive Mount Hood Topographical Maps

by johngo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Well, looks like this map is no longer available so folks better try something else.

Check out caltopo.com.

Free topographic maps with multiple layers, easy printing, import export of GPX files, and more.

Here's a tutorial on how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjUo6PwHmAQ

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)