snow hiking pants

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
nikolai

snow hiking pants

by nikolai » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 pm

another new to CO question:

I did a hike this weekend along some snowy ridge. I froze. My legs, in particular. Do people here hike in snowboard/skiing pants in the winter?

if not, what do you use?

WinterWarlock

Re: snow hiking pants

by WinterWarlock » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:25 am

nikolai wrote:another new to CO question:

I did a hike this weekend along some snowy ridge. I froze. My legs, in particular. Do people here hike in snowboard/skiing pants in the winter?

if not, what do you use?

I usually use softshell pants...there was a good pair from Stoic I bought on SteepandCheap. Been out in -5F degrees and been plenty warm.

colint

by colint » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:49 am

lots of ways to go. softshell is probably the best if you want to make an investment.
I have a few different approaches-
1) down lined carhartt pants with or without long underwear
2) long underwear and waterproof (nylon) pants
3) same as two, but with a fleece layer added
4) goretex bib with either 2 or 3 underlayer

I have comfortably used all of those down to -20F, and have used the fourth down to -55F.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:08 am

I usually wear the same thing I wear skiing: Polypro with wind pants or hard shell pants (MH conduit). If it's going to be below about 10F, I will usually put on an expedition weight fleece layer. If it's going to be much below zero or I'm going to be sitting around, I will add a pair of fleece pants. That's kept me warm sitting around camp at -25F.

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 am

Depending on weather, I wear Chilis long underwear and either my:

Red Ledge Thunderlight waterproof rain pants ..(cheap online, $30.)

or

Mountain Hardwear Gore Windstopper heavy weight fleece pants

or

Arcteyx Gama Salopette softshell

howvere, the MH windstopper are my favorite! but whatever you go with, get full side zips.

no avatar
sneakyracer

Re: snow hiking pants

by sneakyracer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm

nikolai wrote:another new to CO question:

if not, what do you use?

I really like my Mountain Hardwear Navigation pants. They are softshells and are stretchy and have integrated gaiters. Super comfortable tough pants that look good. VERY versatile, have used the in 80F deg weather (vents open) and 25F deg and blowing snow conditions.

The key to cold weather comfort is using long ski socks and also polarmax long underwear (or your favorite). If it gets colder I add Capilene 3 bottoms and that should do for 0F easy.

Return to Colorado