temple mountain/tomisch butte, san rafael swell

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
shanahan96

temple mountain/tomisch butte, san rafael swell

by shanahan96 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:31 pm

does anyone know anything about the routes on these peaks? is tomisch technical? kelsey's swell book has basic info for temple, exposed north side scrambling-4th class/low 5th. that's all i've found so far. has anyone been up either of these?

jamie

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:28 pm

is tomisch technical?

Yes, but at 5.2 it's not overly so (north side).

kelsey's swell book has basic info for temple, exposed north side scrambling-4th class/low 5th. that's all i've found so far. has anyone been up either of these?

I've climbed Temple Mountain. It isn't that difficult (4th class), but is pretty loose and exposed via the SE side of the mountain. The SE route is a better route than the Kelsey Route. On the summit of Temple Mountain are some old signatures dating back to the 1930's.

shanahan96

by shanahan96 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:56 pm

thanks scott. with the combination of exposure and poor rock quality on temple, did you feel the need to rappel anywhere during the descent?

jamie

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 am

with the combination of exposure and poor rock quality on temple, did you feel the need to rappel anywhere during the descent?

We did not rappel. I don't recall many good anchors to do so from anyway. Taking a short rope won't hurt.

Return to Utah