AAC Conference: Managing Human Waste in the Wild

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Alpinist

AAC Conference: Managing Human Waste in the Wild

by Alpinist » Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Presented by The American Alpine Club at the American Mountaineering Center Golden, Colorado July 30-31 and August 1, 2010

We invite top land managers, scientists, entrepreneurs, and wilderness participants from around the globe to discuss and formulate strategies for managing human waste in remote areas. The Exit Strategies conference will include general/plenary sessions, poster presentations, field-proven techniques and opportunities for focused problem solving. To create a productive setting in which participants can spark important conversations, explore innovative ideas, and develop effective solutions, the conference will be limited to 100 attendees

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/exitstrategies

Now is your chance to talk about some serious shit...

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 am

glacierpaul

by glacierpaul » Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 pm

I managed to help provide this for my area, St. Mary's Glacier, granted it is at the parking lot/trailhead and I charge for the parking to provide the ammenities. I figure if you have something where people start, this eliminates a considerable amount of "waste" on/along the trail/mountain. 2 portable toilets (cleaned daily/pumped weekly), trash/recycle cans and dog/human "waste" bags are essential to help with this problem. I don't know how many SP users have noticed any difference up here or not, I have, but I live here. The biggest problem I see now is bagged dog poop, that does not make it back down. At least it is in a bag for me to pack out on my "clean up days". I may check out this meeting, thanks for posting.

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 pm

glacierpaul wrote:I managed to help provide this for my area, St. Mary's Glacier, granted it is at the parking lot/trailhead and I charge for the parking to provide the ammenities. I figure if you have something where people start, this eliminates a considerable amount of "waste" on/along the trail/mountain. 2 portable toilets (cleaned daily/pumped weekly), trash/recycle cans and dog/human "waste" bags are essential to help with this problem. I don't know how many SP users have noticed any difference up here or not, I have, but I live here. The biggest problem I see now is bagged dog poop, that does not make it back down. At least it is in a bag for me to pack out on my "clean up days". I may check out this meeting, thanks for posting.

Paul - you should be commended for your efforts to keep the trails cleaned up - great job and keep up the good work!

Matt
http://www.100summits.com

glacierpaul

by glacierpaul » Sat May 08, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks Matt!

Return to Colorado