Vaccinations + Diamox

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MScholes

Vaccinations + Diamox

by MScholes » Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 am

Two weeks ago I headed out to a vaccination clinic to pick up all my vaccines for Tanzania for my Kili/Kenya trip this summer. Picked up the essential: Yellow fever, hep A, malaria pill perscription etc. but it's bugging me as the nurse is absolutely adament about perscribing Diamox as she tries to sell it off as a be-all-end-all wonder drug to cure whatever ails you. At the time of my vaccinations she didn't have something necessary for the percription of Diamox but now she's calling non stop for me to drop by and pick it as the way she describes it - you can't possibly survive above 4000 metres without it.

I won't say I've spent uncountable hours at 14k + feet but enough to know that I was certainly fine at that altitude without any wonder drug.

I've read the numerous discussions regarding diamox and it's masking effects etc, and hadn't even given it a second though about taking it (have no intention of picking it up) but this nurse is persistent. Is this normal at a vaccination clinic or is she mis-informed about the wonder cure-effects of diamox?

MScholes

Re: Vaccinations + Diamox

by MScholes » Fri May 21, 2010 3:33 am

dynamokiev98 wrote:
MScholes wrote:Two weeks ago I headed out to a vaccination clinic to pick up all my vaccines for Tanzania for my Kili/Kenya trip this summer. Picked up the essential: Yellow fever, hep A, malaria pill perscription etc. but it's bugging me as the nurse is absolutely adament about perscribing Diamox as she tries to sell it off as a be-all-end-all wonder drug to cure whatever ails you. At the time of my vaccinations she didn't have something necessary for the percription of Diamox but now she's calling non stop for me to drop by and pick it as the way she describes it - you can't possibly survive above 4000 metres without it.

I won't say I've spent uncountable hours at 14k + feet but enough to know that I was certainly fine at that altitude without any wonder drug.

I've read the numerous discussions regarding diamox and it's masking effects etc, and hadn't even given it a second though about taking it (have no intention of picking it up) but this nurse is persistent. Is this normal at a vaccination clinic or is she mis-informed about the wonder cure-effects of diamox?

Nurses don't prescribe drugs..unless it is a nurse practitioner. I did vaccination clinic for a short stretch, but never heard about anyone ever asking/talking about Diamox...

Fair enough, not sure on her specific title, nurse/doctor etc, she is able to perscribe, that's for sure, the malaria pills after all were from her perscription.

no avatar
edl

by edl » Fri May 21, 2010 4:54 am

Is the nurse a climber? Has she ever been above 4000m? Clearly she doesn't know what's she's talking about.

I've never taken "vitamin D", but I can tell you from personal expereince that I've never been climbing with a person who's taking Diamox that's summited.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Diamox is no wonder drug nor does it mask syptoms. It is helpful for those who have problems with altitude - altitude doesn't affect all of us the same.

MScholes

by MScholes » Fri May 21, 2010 10:13 pm

The Dude wrote:great point! Scholes, please consult your doctor prior to listening to any of us!

Hehe, was't seeking advice on to take it or not, just wondering if others had the similar experience with vaccination clinics pushing a perscription that isn't necessarily necessary nor desired by an individual. My doctor herself certainly had no issues with me not taking it as she's more aware of my past activities.

Return to General