Valley/Tuolumne/EastSide Partners needed: June 12-18th

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
WML

Valley/Tuolumne/EastSide Partners needed: June 12-18th

by WML » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Hey there guys, got a week off in June (12th-18th) and would love to spend it climbing and generally having fun in Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne, and the East Side.

I can lead 5.6/7 and follow .8 in most cases. I have a pretty quick learning curve, and am willing to try harder. Looking to getting after it for the week and maximize climbing time.

If interested in any of the dates, shoot me a PM and we can talk!

Weston

Aaron Dyer

by Aaron Dyer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I would join you somewhere man but I think I am out of town that week. Seems to be a constant thwarting of us doing more climbs this year.

WML

by WML » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 am

I hear ya bud, if you do happen to be in town, LPP Part Deux? And then some?

Diggler

Re: Valley/Tuolumne/EastSide Partners needed: June 12-18th

by Diggler » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 pm

WML wrote:Hey there guys, got a week off in June (12th-18th) and would love to spend it climbing and generally having fun in Yosemite Valley, Tuolumne, and the East Side.

I can lead 5.6/7 and follow .8 in most cases. I have a pretty quick learning curve, and am willing to try harder. Looking to getting after it for the week and maximize climbing time.

If interested in any of the dates, shoot me a PM and we can talk!

Weston

I won't be able to join in the festivities (I'll not be in the state), but I would point out the following, in case you're not already aware:

* While Tioga Pass should be open by then, it might not be. If this is the case, a) Tuolumne won't really be accessible, & b) you're talking a looooong drive from the Valley to the East Side, so allocate your time accordingly

* You're options for climbing in the Valley at the given ratings will be pretty limited- there just aren't a lot of great climbs lower than .7; things really open up after about .9 or so. If you haven't been there, you need to go just to see the place, but expect your options to run out pretty quick. It seems that most of the good Tuolumne climbs at/under .7 have an R attached to them- i.e. expect some fair runouts for those grades.

* Even with Tioga Pass open, expect to contend with a fair amount of snow &/or bugs on the Tuolumne approaches- it was a big snow year, & that is evident right now, & will be throughout the season.

* Your best bet may be on the East Side- there are numerous climbing options there- a lot of areas there are at fairly low elevations (starting at 4,000'), so they're not as affected by the snow found higher up. Pick up a copy of the Bishop area rock guide by Lewis & Croft- lots of good suggestions.

* Depending on if you have means to travel through & camp in snow (I haven't really been to the high country since winter, but it seems like there's a decent amount still there up higher), there are a lot of great routes on peaks you could do at the ratings you're talking about- check out the High Sierra Classics guide by Moynier/Fiddler (?) or The Good, The Great, & The Awesome, by Croft

Whatever you end up doing, be safe & have fun!

Return to California