Matterhorn Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jbetoo

by jbetoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Oops, typo on my part. Yes, the warmer it gets, the increased chances of a wet slide, which is what happened last weekend.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Matterhorn seemed popular this past weekend. Hiked in on Saturday -- windy and a bit cloudy at times.

Snow level seemed ~8500-9000' and melting fast. There was running water in the high meadow in Horse Creek Canyon, and the unnamed lake at 9800' was in the process of melting out.

Snow-camped at 9800' above the unnamed lake, and headed up to the peak early the next morning, with clear skies.

The east couloir was about half melted out, but the west couloir was nicely filled in.

I'd guess it was fairly sustained ~40-ish degrees. Descended from the couloir exit to the first obvious gully and headed up. There was still snow in places, so I may have made some non-class 3 moves :)

Fantastic views from the top.

Descended the third class ledges to the east couloir. Greeted four people who were climbing it. Have to come back for the North Arete sometime.

Full set here.

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Looks like you had a wonderfilled weekend!
Great pictorial T/R with fab captions....

This Matterhorn is definitely on my "to experience" list.

Previous

Return to California