Chimney Rock/Roothaan - Selkirk Crest

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Jakester

Chimney Rock/Roothaan - Selkirk Crest

by Jakester » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Does anyone know if the West Route (Hunt Creek Rd.) trail head is accessible by vehicle yet? Can any of you Priest Lakers still see snow on the crest?

Moni

by Moni » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 am

I can still see snow on the local hills in Spokane!

Jakester

by Jakester » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Ha! Good Point. I'm mostly wondering how close we can drive to the trail head. I'll find out pretty soon.

Jakester

by Jakester » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm

So, we climbed Chimney Rock yesterday. There was too much snow to drive to the trail head - we actually got stuck. Hiked up the road anyway, and from the trail head, the entire approach was a snow slog. We had the place to ourselves. I had never been up there with so much snow. It made for a very memorable trip. We were the first entries of the year in the summit log book. There was even some snow on the summit.

Andrew with Chimney Rock in the distance.

Top of the Roothaan saddle on the approach.

From the top of pitch 1. You can see our boot pack in the large snowfield on the right.

Hiking back towards Mt. Roothaan (in the background). The climbers gully to the saddle was in the shade but didn't freeze up thankfully.

Heading home. At the base of the climbers trail up Mt. Roothaan.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)