Shasta - Hidden Valley Camp Site Left in disgusting manor

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
SKI

by SKI » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 pm

A special thanks to whomever took a shat on the third pitch belay ledge on the Cosmic Wall. Gall that's disgusting, having to belay with that stench corroding the dyneema and rusting the cams. DON'T SH*T MID-ROUTE. No excuses man, wear your brown pants if you think you're having a low-confidence (not confident if it's gunna be a fart or a sh*t) day. Or... Take care of that crap BEFORE you climb.

The Shasta mess is unacceptable. Shame on those guys man. Utter shame.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 am

Sorry dude, that was me :twisted:

Just kidding .. but eww .. there was at least another party after us. The route does get a lot of traffic.

Coincidentally, after doing the Cosmic Wall on the 20th we headed down to Castle Dome to scramble up it. Near the 4th class section my climbing partner had to take a dump, and mentioned that he'd brought a wag bag with him. That struck me as a good idea .. assuming of course you pack it out with you (he did of course).

I have used a few wag bags at 13000' overlooking Casaval Ridge. I like to carry a trash compactor bag to throw those things in at the end of the trip for the hike out.

SKI

by SKI » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 am

Haha! Man, my face got RED after I read the first part lol. That's a good idea, the wag bags. Of course the central populous of hikers and climbers would scoff at the idea, but it really detracts from the quality of the experience having to belay next to some stinking pile. I found myself apologizing to the ladyfriend because I wanted her to have the best time climbing possible (she's still on the fence about whether she likes it or not haha oh, sorority girls) and to have her chill there put me in a fury, as aforementioned in my earlier post.

Use a wag-bag or scoop it into a ziplock. I just dont wanna see/touch/step in/smell/stand next to/belay in any one else's poo. Punto y aparte.

PellucidWombat

Re: Shasta - Hidden Valley Camp Site Left in disgusting mano

by PellucidWombat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 am

tmaxwell wrote:I am posting this to hopefully embarrass the group that left their campsite in Hidden Valley like this. We came across this disgusting mess on our way out of Hidden Valley. It was left by a group that came up around June 12 and left the next day. They set their camp up at the entrance to Hidden Valley. I can’t believe the lack of ethics and knowledge and even morals by this group. The garbage left included food, toilet paper, pack out bags (new and used), garbage bags, food wrappings, plastic bags ... We took as much as we could carry out with us but there was so much garbage we couldn’t carry it all.

It doesn't sound like an emergency evacuation to me if they could take the time to haul out all of the gear that has monetary/climbing value and leave only trash.

mrchad9

Re: Shasta - Hidden Valley Camp Site Left in disgusting mano

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 am

PellucidWombat wrote:It doesn't sound like an emergency evacuation to me if they could take the time to haul out all of the gear that has monetary/climbing value and leave only trash.

Exactly PW. I just don't understand all the folks on page one bending over backwards with sympathy for these folks.

I wish some of them were cops. I could speed with impunity and have no worries about being able to sweet talk my way out of a ticket.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:53 am

FWIW, Hidden Valley was clean on Saturday. :D

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:15 am

Deb wrote:FWIW, Hidden Valley was clean on Saturday.

Probably brought a helicopter in to airlift the previous trash out...

simonov

by simonov » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:44 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Deb wrote:FWIW, Hidden Valley was clean on Saturday.

Probably brought a helicopter in to airlift the previous trash out...

Previous

Return to California