amazing rare footage

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Fury

by Fury » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:58 am

I saw this on the news (CBC). Crazy stuff. Beautiful bears, though I wouldn't want to have an encounter like that!

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 pm

zodis wrote:Would pepper spray work in this type of situation?

Based on my experience, my opinion is no. Sows attack from a defensive posture, motive is much different than predatory which involves some testing by the typical predator bear (vs say a mountain lion). I personally don't carry bangers or spray, prefer to be one with the wild, for better or worst. But I think the banger (or gun in this case), gave her that insecure feeling that she could not protect her cub, it scared her more than the scent. Don't think pepper spray would have done that. She would be right in front of you, feet away, to make the spray effective. At that point, she would be hell bent on neutralizing the risk to her cub (you). This is what I have read in at least one documented case of survival with bear spray engaged. The gun noise became an unknown to her, where did it come from? Was she and hence her cub surrounded? Was it beyond her control? Just put oneself in her paws and you can sense her emotion at that point, we are animals too. Easy to understand so much about wildlife and their tendencies once you are capable of doing that.

mad maximus

by mad maximus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:54 am

It would have been a change in shorts and professions for me.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Tripod or no, the videographer seemed very calm and experienced to me. He even adjusts the camera and focuses after the charge! Amazing!

Besides shitting myself, I would no doubt have knocked the tripod over completely. He very likely thought through the possibility of being charged and planned his strategy ahead of time, which is the smart thing to do so you don't have to make that decision under stress.

James_W

by James_W » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 pm

mad maximus wrote:It would have been a change in shorts and professions for me.

This weekend some friends decided to pull a Grizzly bear prank deep in the interior. I got out my spray and knife started to back up and called for the others. When I saw them come out of the woods instead of the bear my first thought was "should I spray them anyways". My shorts had no skid marks and I learned adrenaline can ramp up your decision making process so better to be mentally prepared before going in to Grizzly teritory.

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Mountain Impulse wrote:It's interesting also that his instinct was to fire to scare mama bear instead of aiming at her. Maybe he figured if she kept charging then he would fire at her.

A friend from Wyoming explained the use of each bullet in the 5 shot revolver he sometimes (but not often) carries in bear country:

2 - to scare the bear
2- to shoot *at* the bear
1 - for you if none of the above works
:D

IF you had that much time of course.

James_W

by James_W » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:28 am

zodis wrote:Would pepper spray work in this type of situation?

Had my first Grizzly encounter today. I was walking down the undeveloped road to work (Revelstoke Mountain Resort) and a cub ran out and across the road he dissapeared in something beside the road. I heard sounds of what I can assume is the mommy and other cub approaching. Took out my spray and walked backwards until there was good distance. At that moment pepper spray did not give any confidence.

Previous

Return to Canada and Alaska