Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle and back?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle and back?

by Luciano136 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 am

I know that should be roughly 16mi RT. Does anyone know how much total gain it would roughly involve? I would probably tag all the peaks on the way there and then just stick to the trail bypassing the peaks on the way back.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 am

Whoa... More like 24 RT from VG to Islip Saddle and back . Run it a bazillion times. This milage is pretty well documented. The Angeles Crest 100 mile race is 13.85 at VG and 25.91 at Islip.

tonyo

by tonyo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Vincent Gap to Dawson Saddle is probably what you meant. That would be about 16 miles RT (probably just a little less, actually). I would estimate between 4000 and 4500 foot gain for the day. Being sort of a ridge hike (the piece between Dawson and BP, anyway), the views make it a great hike, especially if you get it on a day clear enough to see the ocean.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:10 pm

You know what, I think I forgot about the mileage up and down Baden Powell. I think Baden Powell from Islip is 8mi one way. So, adding BP from the beginning would make for roughly 24mi RT, right? That would be a lot. I think I'll wake up really early and hike Vivian up Gorgonio instead.

johnm

by johnm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Luciano,

I have hiked Vincent Gap to Mt. Hawkins and back. Once you reach the Wally Waldron Tree on Baden-Powell veer right onto the PCT heading west. The trail remains fairly level. It skirts the summits of Burnham & Throop, two very easy peaks to bag from the trail and onto Hawkins. The trail flatness is reminicent of East San Bernardino Peak to Shields Peak in the San Berdoos.

IMO that section of the PCT is one of the finest in the San Gabs. It has an alpine feel with flowers and grasses late into the season. When Vincent to Islip was closed it was also one of the most remote. Very worth it if you haven't tried it. Also you avoid the Vivian Creek weekend ant hill.

Best,

John

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Is Little Jimmy Spring the only one between Islip and Baden-Powel?

One option I've considered that could be done as a freaking long day hike or an over-nighter is a roundtrip from South Fork campground to Baden-Powel.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:43 am

Little Jimmy is the best and year round reliable water on the route between V Gap and Islip. There area couple of minor springs also along the way (Lilly part way up Baden Powell) which can help but their placement isn't a great advantage, in my opinion.

Sean,
I've done the RT you describe in snow (overnight) and as a one day run. It is certainly doable but the Manzanita Trail up from the S Fork to BP has been in occasional disrepair. Not sure of its current condition.

All,
If you do an out and back from V Gap to Islip and return do not underestimate the climb back up to the high point below Baden upon the return when legs are getting a bit weary. Save some in the bank for that.

fossana

by fossana » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:31 am

The AC100 race booklet has a rough elevation profile. It's on the official site.

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Scott M, thanks.

According to my brother, they have been working on Manzanita and it's in fairly good condition.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:18 am

Scott M. wrote:Little Jimmy is the best and year round reliable water on the route between V Gap and Islip. There area couple of minor springs also along the way (Lilly part way up Baden Powell) which can help but their placement isn't a great advantage, in my opinion.

Lamel Spring is ~2mi up from Vincent Gap, on a short spur from the PCT. It's year-round reliable. Lilly Spring, IIRC, is closer to the northwest side of Hawkins, so more mid-way along the ridge, but also quite a bit below the trail.

Manzanita Trail is in great shape, except for the usual slide zones. Last time I was there (~early June) the creeks were all flowing pretty good.

SEAN: Will call tonight. Kern for 24th/25th? Possible overnighter.

Return to California