Baldy to Wrightwood???

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tkoooooooooo

Baldy to Wrightwood???

by tkoooooooooo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone have experience hiking from Baldy to Wrightwood? How far is it? I'm looking at some maps and I see a section between Pine Mountain and Wright Mountain where there is no trail. It follows a ridge between the two peaks. Is there a use trail, or is it pretty straight forward? Is it very steep? My final destination is a cabin right in the center part of the town. Does anyone know how far it is and how elevation gain and loss there is?

I have decent route finding skills. On maps, it looks pretty straight forward. Just checking to see if anyone has actual experience of this quest!

Thanks,
Thatcher

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 pm

I hiked most parts of it in sections. The easiest way is to descend Pine Mountain, then take the fireroad for a little bit and then take the Acorn trail (I think that's the name) down to Wrightwood.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:51 am

Thatcher,
The section between Pine and Wright will be obvious when you see it. Luciano is correct about descending the Acorn Trail into Wrightwood. Follow it down into town. There are some good maps on the ac100.com website if you are having someone pick you up. I recommend you finish at the Community Center. We run this returning back to to Baldy or hang it up and have a "cold one" in Wrightwood for shorter days. It is a fine route.
Scott

tiogap

by tiogap » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 am

there is a trail or use trail from Baldy to Wrightwood

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Bildonator

by Bildonator » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:41 pm

I have done that hike, as part of a hike from Middle fork Lytle creek to Wrightwood. We cached water at Icehouse saddle, and at Pine Mountain. We were able to fill canteens at Baldy notch at the restraunt there. At the bottom of the trail down from Baldy and heading up to Dawson, you could take a side trip to upper fish fork and there is a spring there, or from there you can continue up and over Pine ridge where you can find water at a spring above Lupine. There is a seasonal spring just below Guffy. PM me if you want and I could give you a more detailed rundown.

Return to California