Do you need a permit for camping in the Angeles NF?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
caliguy2010

Do you need a permit for camping in the Angeles NF?

by caliguy2010 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 pm

I was planning a multi-day backpacking trip in the Angeles National Forest stopping at trail camps along the way and wanted to know if you need a permit for camping?

simonov

by simonov » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 am

Usually you will, but it depends on which Wilderness Areas you are staying in or passing through. Most Wilderness Areas need a permit for entry and for camping. In a Wilderness Area, you are also generally required to camp only in designated trail camp sites.

So to answer this question, we will need to know more about your planned itinerary.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 am

I've never acquired one and never had an issue. It's fair to mention that I'm a bit of a rebel though. :wink: :lol:

You will most certainly need a forest adventure pass.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 am

Go to this site for the Angeles National Forest and call the number for the station in Arcadia. They should be able to answer your questions. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/passes/

no avatar
caliguy2010

by caliguy2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:43 pm

redneck wrote:Usually you will, but it depends on which Wilderness Areas you are staying in or passing through. Most Wilderness Areas need a permit for entry and for camping. In a Wilderness Area, you are also generally required to camp only in designated trail camp sites.

So to answer this question, we will need to know more about your planned itinerary.

I wanted to hike the Mount Wilson toll road and stay at Idlehour camp for a night. Then finish the hike up to Mount Wilson. Then go down the Sturtevant Trail to the Spruce Grove camp. Then head down the Zion Trail to Hoegees camp. Then head on back down the Mount Wilson Toll road via the Mazanita Trail stopping at Idlehour camp again. So like a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip.

What I would really like to is to do the 53 mile Silver Moccasin Trail but I think alot of it is closed due to the fires.

simonov

by simonov » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:07 am

Looks like you are getting your questions answered on the EISPIRATEN board.

E-mail stickers@badharvest.net for free stickers:

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 am

Of note:

I just talked to an ultrarunner friend that ran Chantry to El Prieto on the AC100 course this past weekend. He said that much of the trails, including the area around Idlehour are thrashed from the fire/rains, and that the trail is nonexistent in sections.

Return to California