Kessler's 200th mountain-join us?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Kessler's 200th mountain-join us?

by Scott » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 am

Kessler (my son) has currently climbed 195 mountains [as of July 18] and we thought it would be really cool to do something special for #200, but it would be nice to not be the sole adult along (unfortunately, his mother can no longer due stenuous climbs due to a health problem :( ).

We were thinking of something like Capitol, Pyramid, something in the Gore Range or Gold Dust (or others in the vicinity). Would anyone be interested in climbing one of these? Sometime in August (or maybe even late July)?

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

200 is quite impressive! Congrats to him!

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Scott,

July is toast for me, and August is looking pretty full, but I would certainly be interested in helping your family celebrate Kessler's 200th peak. Keep me posted re: what you have in mind and when. If the timing works, I'll be glad to get plenty of pictures of the two of you climbing to share with your wife. (Hope she's feeling strong!)

Sarah

RyanS

by RyanS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 am

Scott, that's really amazing! How old is Kessler these days? I still grin thinking of his "big snowy mountain" quote from a few years back.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:55 am

How old is Kessler these days?

========================================

Anyway, it looks like several people are interested. Cut and paste from current thread 14ers.com:

Hmmm, what to do.

Here’s the scoop:

As of right now, Kessler is at 199 mountains. Next one is 200, which would make this weekend ideal. I have been asked to help someone out with some youth on Sunday, so it has to be Saturday only. The next weekend August 7-8, I just learned that Kessler has a cubscout daycamp on Saturday, so that weekend is out. That would mean Capitol is out for either weekend since it isn’t doable for us in one day.

Gold Dust would be reasonable in a long day (13 miles RT with 4000 feet elevation gain), but the weather forecast is looking pretty poor for a long hike. It may be tough to both summit and be far down the mountain by 11 am, when t-storm danger typically increases.

Maybe the suggested Savage Peak might be a good one if the weather forecast still isn’t looking good. It’s short enough that we get up there and back down pretty quick.

Something fairly short in the Elk Range might be good as well. Malamute or even Conundrum (might have to use a short rope up a short steep snowfield though since Kessler doesn’t have crampons-depending on conditions).

If the weather forecast doesn’t improve, would people be interested in Malamute, Savage Peak, or Conundrum?

Also, we would both still really like to do Capitol, Gold Dust , Finnegan/North Gold Dust, but they might not be #200 since (unless the weather is good enough for Gold Dust) in the near future. It sounds like lots of people are interested in those ones. Maybe we can do 2-3 trips. Maybe another one August 21-22 for Capitol or Gold Dust et al? With a 2-day trip more than one peak could be climbed around Gold Dust.

================================================

Keep me posted re: what you have in mind and when. If the timing works, I'll be glad to get plenty of pictures of the two of you climbing to share with your wife. (Hope she's feeling strong!)

Sounds good. I have some photos of you guys too.

Return to Colorado