Tragedy on Long's Peak?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bill Reed

Tragedy on Long's Peak?

by Bill Reed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:25 am

Am hearing first hand reports of the death of a young man on the peak. Report I'm getting is the man left his companions at the Boulderfield at 4 PM Thursday to "check out the Keyhole". He never returned. Companions searched a little and waited into the night for his return. They headed down this AM to report him missing and learned that he'd been found dead in the "trough".

I hope this is a false report, but I fear it is not. If true, it is a very sad tale, as later details will reveal.

Be careful out there.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 am

Sadly true.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15535471

Condolences to family, friends and those new found friends in the Boulderfield.

McCannster

by McCannster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 am

Gnarly. I'm trying to figure out what exactly happened, it's hard to judge from the article...he was found in the trough, so he fell there? Did he get blown off the summit and landed in the trough? He must have been on the summit at some point, right? Terrible either way :cry:

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:05 am

I was up there - saw the blood splatter. Looks like he went way off route about 200 yards from the keyhole and fell down into the trail from above. It was not a pretty sight.

Condolences to the family.

dien2liv

by dien2liv » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 pm

wow, i was there that week climbing the keyhole with my dad on tuesday and wednesday and we turned back because of 60mph gusts early wednesday morning. finally the wind relented and held in the late afternoon and we were able to summit without issue. very sad, makes me think.

Return to Colorado