Loking for a new route on Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
mcpherma

Loking for a new route on Rainier

by mcpherma » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 am

My brother and I have summited 3 times, twice via DC and once on Ingraham direct. We are looking for a different route to try at the end of the month and are curious what would be good this time of year and slightly more challenging. I have looked at the Kautz glacier and Fuhrer finger routes and they are intriguing. What are some thoughts. We are open to suggestions, but looking for something just a little more technical than a walk up/ glacier travel.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:30 pm

I think end of August would be rather late for Fuhrer Finger due to rock fall danger, I could be wrong. Kautz Glacier is a nice route and becomes more technical later in the season. Tahoma Glacier is an idea, although the glacier may be very broken up by then.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Also, you might check out this book if you haven't already. Found mine at the Goodwill. Good info on all the routes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Rainier-Cli ... 789&sr=1-1

mcpherma

by mcpherma » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:16 am

dskoon wrote:Also, you might check out this book if you haven't already. Found mine at the Goodwill. Good info on all the routes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Rainier-Cli ... 789&sr=1-1

I have it, great book. I use it as supplemental info to the stuff I get from "real" people. thanks for the input. Admittedly, I haven't cracked it open in some time and you have prompted me to check it to compare with info here.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)