Madrock Alpinist

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
woodsxc

Madrock Alpinist

by woodsxc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:04 am

Who's got 'em?

My crampons are automatics, and the math doesn't add up for getting a new pair of crampons in order to save money on boots. I've read a mix of glowing and disgusted reviews. They seem like a pretty good value, and I've liked the Madrock climbing shoes I've used. So for auto-compatible boots, are they worth it...

Muddeer

by Muddeer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:40 am

warm and waterproof, ok to walk in for technical boots, but heavy compare to newer boots, some heel slippage for me; in conclusion, I would not buy them again

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:27 am

I have them. I have used them a few times. Once in Mid January on Humphreys Peak in AZ. I had crampons on the whole time. The temp never really got above 10 the whole day. I was impressed, for being such a cheap boot, my toes never got cold (even the next morning when it was -8 plus windchill). I also used them this summer on Angelica Couloir on Mt. of the Holy Cross. After making the switch to in-step crampons, summer snow routes became an issue. I decided to give it a try and hike in the Alpinist all day...a little hard on the approach, great on the couloir, and excellent on the ridge traverse (Halo Ridge). They suck on trails. I like them. The laces are way to short though (easily fixed though). On the outlet, you can't beat the price.

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Selling a pair in fantastic shape in size 11.5 if you're interested. My experience is pretty similar to what everyone posted here.

Here's what I wrote about them in my listing where they're for sale on a different site:

Mad Rock Alpinist - Size 11.5 - $125 + $15 shipping
4-5 days of ice cragging. Barely show any use at all. The stock insoles were cheap, thin, terrible and uncomfortable so I put in a Superfeet insole. Then they felt great. You'll most likely want to use your own insole as well. Other than that, I'm very happy with the boot. Kept me warm as low as 10-15 degrees. Punched through the ice walking across a river on the approach and my feet stayed totally dry. They fit true to size.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Lookin for size 10.

bird

by bird » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:58 pm

I have the blue ones. Perfectly happy with them for any time it's over 15 degrees.
Snow, water ice. Etc

Return to Gear