Thoughts on the Rab Neutrino Plus?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
thespiffy

Thoughts on the Rab Neutrino Plus?

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm considering picking one up, I'm lacking in the down department and would prefer to get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/down_insu ... lus---144/

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:11 pm

What's your intended use? I have the Neutrino Endurance, which I find good enough for anything in the lower 48. I would prefer the Plus on a few ocassions, but I've never actually been cold in the regular NE, so it's not worth the weight and size penalty.

If you're mostly staying in the southeast and mid-atlantic, even the NE is probably overkill and I'd look at a hooded MH Compressor or FA Igniter.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Autoxfil wrote:What's your intended use? I have the Neutrino Endurance, which I find good enough for anything in the lower 48. I would prefer the Plus on a few ocassions, but I've never actually been cold in the regular NE, so it's not worth the weight and size penalty.

If you're mostly staying in the southeast and mid-atlantic, even the NE is probably overkill and I'd look at a hooded MH Compressor or FA Igniter.

Intended use is all over the board-- geographically anyway, lower 48. I feel I need a more robust in-camp/bivy puffy.

My goto has been a compressor, which has been ok, but I found myself freezing my ass off on occasion. Last year I specifically recall Humphrey's Peak in AZ, and Black Balsam Knob in NC, each during extremely windy and blustery nights (I checked a weather station near my location after my trip and it was reporting -27F windchill.) I had every stitch of clothing on and spent most of the night wishing I had a down puffy.

I won't be doing much belay work in it as most of the time I'm solo. But on the off chance I do I'm hoping the additional length of the Plus vs Endurance can be mitigated by the 2-way zipper.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Fletch wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52730&highlight=rab

great jacket - check the link above for 50% off. At the price I got mine for, its a rediculous jacket...

Thanks-- unfortunately they're out of stock and don't seem to carry the plus. Damn good price though.

Return to Gear