FS: MASTER CAMS, SCREAMERS, ROPE....

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
The Chief

FS: MASTER CAMS, SCREAMERS, ROPE....

by The Chief » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:37 pm

- Brand New 1ea 60m 8.5 Mammut Genesis Super Dry for $100.00 Shipped

- 1ea #00/0, 0/1 Offset & & # 5 Reg Master Cam (3 total)
used only once, no falls, in EXC Cond. $90.00 Shipped

- 10ea Yates Screamer's in VG Condition $10.00ea Shipped or all 10 for $90.00 Shipped.

PAYPAL ONLY. PM ME IF INTERESTED. THANKS.....

gobriango

by gobriango » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:52 pm

I'll take all the screamers !!!

PM sent

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Hey Chief,

Are you really done with this climbing gig? I was up climbing the North Couloir of North Peak and thought about you when I saw your route on the left couloir. It is, unfortunately, not in shape. Are we going to miss your assholeness now that you are done climbing?

Kevin

no avatar
The Chief

Re: FS: MASTER CAMS, SCREAMERS, ROPE....

by The Chief » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:27 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Chief, can you send me a mail about the cams, you've got my emailadres normally ...

What is there to mail?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 pm

DAMN!

YOU ALL ARE FAST!

EVERYTHING IS SOLD!

Thanks guys!!

Will be putting more stuff up for sale so keep an eye out.

Chief!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Damn, this is what I get when I don't check SP for a couple hours. I would've been all over that Geneis like a fat kid on a donut! :shock:

(And Kevin, I think the word you're looking for is "assholishness"...) :D

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Alpinisto wrote:Damn, this is what I get when I don't check SP for a couple hours. I would've been all over that Geneis like a fat kid on a donut! :shock:

I got the Geneis, want to make an offer? :D

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:
Alpinisto wrote:Damn, this is what I get when I don't check SP for a couple hours. I would've been all over that Geneis like a fat kid on a donut! :shock:

80$? :roll: PLLLEEEEEAAASSSEEE

hehe try again, but higher! :wink:

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

Alrighty, then, $90!

kellendv

by kellendv » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 pm

kevin trieu wrote:Hey Chief,

Are you really done with this climbing gig? I was up climbing the North Couloir of North Peak and thought about you when I saw your route on the left couloir. It is, unfortunately, not in shape. Are we going to miss your assholeness now that you are done climbing?

Kevin

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the couloirs from your trip would you?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:50 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

Come on dude! You won't need it on mt. sunflower! ..unless you want to perform in human on cattle BDSM scene :twisted:
jkjkjk

Your right, I won't need it for mt. Sunflower, I already sent that. I need to buy another one and I want to start doing alpine climbs with doubles. I'm done with this lame Mountaineering snow slog glacier travel junk. I want to jump on some real slopes Son!

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 am

Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:
Hotoven wrote:

Come on dude! You won't need it on mt. sunflower! ..unless you want to perform in human on cattle BDSM scene :twisted:
jkjkjk

Your right, I won't need it for mt. Sunflower, I already sent that. I need to buy another one and I want to start doing alpine climbs with doubles. I'm done with this lame Mountaineering snow slog glacier travel junk. I want to jump on some real slopes Son!

Yea good luck! Any particular plans?
I am hoping to learn some ice climbing this winter so I could link snow travel, steep ice, and rock climbs...that's my goal for next year.

Question: sometimes 2 half ropes are lighter than one rope, but wouldn't 2 8.5s be still heavier than 9.8?

I am thinking of getting a 50M light alpine rope for ice climbing/alpine rock climbing etc but wouldn't want to get 2 ropes..any suggestions? and why?

Don't bother unless you have a specific need. For almost all general snow/ice climbing, thin double 60's are the way to go. The main exception would be glacier travel.

Double 60's are the ticket because they give you double length rappel options, redundancy in case your bonehead partner hits the rope with his ice axe, less rope drag on wandering alpine routes, etc etc etc.

I have the ultrathin Metolius Monster 7.8 ropes and love them. I have no intention of ever falling on ice, so the thin ropes work for me. If I was going to be hang dogging and taking repeated falls, I would probably go with something a bit beefier like the Genesis 8.5's

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Vitaliy -- it really depends on what you plan to do with it. That 50m x 8.5mm mammut genesis you borrowed recently has been some places : (just off the top of my head)

- Mt. Rainier twice (Kautz and Emmons glaciers)
- several alpine rock routes in North Cascades National Park (the raps seemed to be set up for 50m ropes)
- several alpine rock routes in the Sierra Nevada where the pitches were fairly short, or the rope was needed primarily for rappelling (such as N Ridge Conness :) )

My opinion is that if you get a set of half ropes, it can be beneficial to get some that are rated as both twins and halfs. There are some subtleties to be aware of there. I've also climbed easier alpine routes (like the Swiss Arete and Matthes Crest) with a single strand of half rope (60m), but beware of sharp edges and rockfall. This is for routes where you think falling is kind of unlikely.

I've been eyeing those Metolius 7.8's .. maybe they will be my next set of ice ropes, if they come in 70m lengths (presently I use PMI verglas 8.1's in 60m). For rock I have a set of edelweiss dynamic 8.3's (60m) which have held up well.

Also: don't be concerned with getting lead gear for ice climbing too quickly. You should spend time following ice and learning the craft before venturing out on the sharp end -- the likelihood of getting hurt in an ice lead fall is very high.

Return to Gear