Weekend Pack For Giants

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Tom Kenney

Weekend Pack For Giants

by Tom Kenney » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:48 am

I'm looking for a weekend pack (3000-4000 CI) that is reasonably light, without a bunch of geegaws and doodads, but must fit giants reasonably well. I'm 6'3", and have found it difficult to get a pack that fits. My last weekend pack, a Gregory Rock Lobster, didn't quite fit even though it was size XL. Can anyone recommend something that fits tall people? Do I have to get a custom fit?

Thanks!

TK

adventurer

Re: Weekend Pack For Giants

by adventurer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Sir, are you sure that your measuring yourself properly for pack fit? While 6'3" is tall, I wouldn't describe it as giant. I'm 6'2" and there are several guys here on SP (DayHiker comes to mind) that are 6'4" or taller.

I've never had a problem finding a comfortable fitting pack of any size. Some times a medium works for me as sometimes a large but never an XL.

If you haven't already done so, you might try going to REI or some other outlet and getting properly measured.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Proper pack fit has less to do with one's overall height, but more to due with the length of the spine. Here is a link to expert pack builder and fitter Dan McHale's page on measuring: http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

If you can't find a good fit with an off the rack pack, I recommend you give Dan a call. While his packs are expensive they will fit perfectly and will outlast any other pack on the market by a factor of ten.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info. Will look into a custom fit. I've only had 2 packs in the last 25 years that I'd consider a good fit. One was a Kelty Super-Tioga, and the other a Gregory Palisade (the old one with no crap on the outside). Both were XL. The Gregory lasted me for 15 years, and fit like a comfy wetsuit!

Return to Gear