People needing deletion...

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
Mountainjeff

Re: People needing deletion...

by Mountainjeff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 am

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 pm

This character signed up two days ago, and look at the nature of the posts. Either an avatar or simply a troll. First post listed here is Anti-american, so some of us think it matches a current member's profile text. And another post advocates for said non-American, unusual for someone here two days eh?

User:
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=66676

hiking-in-hunting-season-t55759.html#p787408
social-networking-parodies-t55767.html#p787484
either-dingus-is-gone-or-t55722-180.html#p787425

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Hotoven

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Chad is 100% on!

Thanks for saving me the leg work!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 pm

mrchad9 wrote:signed up two days ago

This site really needs to implement a waiting period before new accounts can post anything anywhere. That would eliminate at least some of this sign-up-and-troll crap. A valid e-mail address should be required as well. This opinion is not just regarding the particular user mentioned above.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 pm

mrchad9 wrote:some of us think it matches a current member's profile text.

By the way, shocking that suspected person is online all the time, except now when new troll account is online. :roll:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:26 pm

ELVES!

(good site suggestion and post Day Hiker)

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:signed up two days ago

This site really needs to implement a waiting period before new accounts can post anything anywhere. That would eliminate at least some of this sign-up-and-troll crap. A valid e-mail address should be required as well. This opinion is not just regarding the particular user mentioned above.

That has actually been discussed before and may need to be revisited. One deciding factor in not implementing it before was that sometimes people sign up to make same-day posts about missing climbers or other emergencies.

As far as this brabra goes, I noticed this morning and smell an avatar. However, I don't think it's who some of you think it is. It matches someone else's style more closely, but I haven't found a definitive link. Nevertheless, our "friend from France" won't be here much longer under his current incarnation.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Now I am confident we know who it is. Who else writes like this???

social-networking-parodies-t55767.html#p787507

Would be good to find out who it is, so they can be banned and this kind of activity does not happen again.

brabra wrote:I am a troll ? how so ? please explain.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

mrchad9 wrote:ELVES!

(good site suggestion and post Day Hiker)

I think this would fit the definition of Whining to the Elves.
I checked the IP address and it is something like 8,000 miles from the nearest Scandinavian country.
But if it makes you feel better, feel free to continue your misplaced blame.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I guess they all talk the same on that side of the pond. I was fooled. Thanks Bob.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:37 pm

har har. You are so clever.

You ever get a PM from me? About anything? Didn't think so.

Hell for all I know this person is you, avatar boy.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:48 pm

mrchad9 wrote:har har. You are so clever.

Public whining is still Whining.
The thing is, you were quite sure the avatar was from a particular member you don't like. But it wasn't. This happens all the time.
Maybe it's human nature - we like to attribute malice to our enemies and good intentions to our friends. Sort of validates ourselves in our choice of friends and enemies. I'm not trying to bash you personally - just pointing out the sort of stuff that makes life hard on the elves trying to moderate.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:har har. You are so clever.

Public whining is still Whining.
The thing is, you were quite sure the avatar was from a particular member you don't like. But it wasn't. This happens all the time.
Maybe it's human nature - we like to attribute malice to our enemies and good intentions to our friends. Sort of validates ourselves in our choice of friends and enemies. I'm not trying to bash you personally - just pointing out the sort of stuff that makes life hard on the elves trying to moderate.

I think calling five characters and an exclamation point whining is a bit sensitive. Regardless. We cannot see IP addresses. If we could we would have looked at that before making any assumptions. So people form a hypothesis based on the best information available. Doesn't really matter. If it is a troll they ought deleted, and if someone's avatar that should be determined and that person ought to be removed as well.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:16 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I think calling five characters and an exclamation point whining is a bit sensitive. Regardless. We cannot see IP addresses. If we could we would have looked at that before making any assumptions. So people form a hypothesis based on the best information available. Doesn't really matter. If it is a troll they ought deleted, and if someone's avatar that should be determined and that person ought to be removed as well.

Come on, you were posting similarly in other threads:

I'm posting this character in bad submissions. A half dozen troll posts in various threads after signing up two days ago.

I understand that you cannot see the IP info and that your hypothesis was a best guess. The problem is that we don't present it as guess, but as facts. And that does matter. In another post, not by you, the "guess" is even less obvious:

brabra is Lolli. Read her post, its obvious shes not from the U.S. and female.

It wasn't Lolli, the person WAS from the US, and probably not female either, but that last point was just *my* best guest. It has the signature of a troll we've dealt with in the past. And as a troll to stir up the membership, it was highly effective, wasn't it?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 pm

True, I did not make the last quote. Nor would I have. In fact when I first saw them I thought it someone else. Your second quote there shows I was only intending to point this person out, nothing more, so they could be dealt with quickly. And I don't think pointing out trolls to the elves is whining. If you see that differently then we will just have to disagree.

I wouldn't say it stirred up the membership as a whole, so much as one of the elves, and just one of the members.

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions