MT/WY bc Ski Winter 2011

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Doublecabin

Re: MT/WY bc Ski Winter 2011

by Doublecabin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:46 pm

I do not know Dillon area, sorry.

I don't know if Mt. Glory off Teton Pass can be considered "easy?' Truth be told I only did a little bit of skiing when I was younger.

The Ski Cabin up by Goodwin Lake might be a great destination for an over night. Wonder if that ridge going up Jackson Peak will be doable for you? Granite Creek also has several peaks of great beauty I know many people ski. I have Turiano's "Select Peaks Of Greater Yellowstone." He shows lots of ski routes in that. Check out his website. A friend of mine did Antoinette, Corner, and other Great Gros Ventre Peaks. Think their distance in winter might disqualify them for you, but they are exquisite.

There is a lot of great skiing in Grand Teton National Park, but not much of the Tetons is "easy" when it comes to the peaks. The skiing off Togwotee Pass can be very rewarding. Spectacular Peaks around Brooks Lake. I would guess Mount Sublette [Peak 11,040'+] right off Togwotee would be "easy' with good contiditions. People do ski up there. I would not think about Mt. Leidy, that ridge might be difficult. If you can skip a summit think about Hermitage Point, Death Canyon, etc.

You might call Teton Mountaineering in JHOLE and see what they say.

Have a wonderful time Tia.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Be sure to check on snow conditions and ask someone that skiis before you go. I hike the trail up the left side of the valley when you break out of the trees going up the steeper route. Avy Danger COULD be an issue there and right belwo the Divide with Clear Creek if you do the loop, so CHECK with those in the know. The map shows the 1,000' cliff that is the "back" side of this summit. The Divide there is one long cliff. Cornice's build huge there. I can't reccomend going anywhere near that many miles long drop. If you look at Bob Sihler's SW Absaroka Page make sure you don't confuse this with Sublette Peak. That may be un-doable, I do not know.

I hope this is the right trip for you, but I'm not a skiier and qualified to tell you to try this precarious/dangerous? summit. Inquire with someone in Jackson. Enjoy but take care. Thanks for spending your money in Wyoming.

samh

by samh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:23 am

Doublecabin wrote:...The skiing off Togwotee Pass can be very rewarding. Spectacular Peaks around Brooks Lake. I would guess Mount Sublette [Peak 11,040'+] right off Togwotee would be "easy' with good contiditions. People do ski up there...

I've been taking yearly trips down to Togwotee for a couple years now and it provides great, easy-access b.c. skiing. On any given day you'll see skiiers leaving the road so where to go will be somewhat obvious. Depending on fresh snow you'll also find great skin tracks to a lot of the lines.

Photos from Togwotee and GTNP 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walloftvs/ ... 343373012/

Photos from Togwotee and GTNP 2010
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walloftvs/ ... 487665264/

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)