stephenson warmlite tents

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Norman

stephenson warmlite tents

by Norman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 am

current or old comments on these tents?
http://warmlite.com/tents/tents-technical

kozman18

Re: stephenson warmlite tents

by kozman18 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:22 am

I have had a warmlite tent for a couple of years (I traded in an EV2 which was way too heavy). I bought it because I wanted a winter tent that was light enough to carry alone, but was big enough for two. This tent is roomy and really light, so it fits the bill perfectly . And, the maker claims that it can withstand heavy winds. I haven't had it out in high winds yet, so I can't attest to those claims, but it looks very aerodynamic. It is well made -- overall, I like the tent.

Not much info, but hope it helps a little.

Kai

by Kai » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:24 am

I have some comments on the 3 man version on my blog:

http://www.larsonweb.com/shelter/id6.html

robot one

by robot one » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:08 am

I have one of these tents and have used it on two long trips, about three hundred nights total. One trip was about 4.5 months on a bike ride from Banff to Guatemala. The second trip was on a biking/ climbing expedition in Bolivia, Chile and Argentina. I have the 2 person with the large door and side windows.
The tent is light, very light and surprisingly sturdy if you follow the care and feeding instructions provided with the tent. I have had the tent in howling, violent winds a number of times and the tent did just fine. The nights were still uncomfortable, but the tent was awesome strong. YOu can adjust the taughtness of the tent without going outside. Also, the price is in line with comparable 4-season tents and it is built by nudists so the MLCSC members and other enviro groups can feel right at home. :lol: The business is family owned and the materials and quality of the workmanship is top notch. If you don't order one of the model/color combos that are in stock, you must allow a couple of months for delivery. I was satisfied with the customer service. The whole experience of buying the tent was like a mail order transaction from the sixties and I enjoyed it. And that is the best of what I have to say about it.

In fourth season conditions,the tent is not especially warm or dry (christened the "damplite" by my cohort) as ventilation is minimal so condensation can be a real problem (in spite of the extensive anti-condensation literature that accompanies the tent). The vestibule is inside the tent and it is difficult getting in and out of the tent in bad weather without creating some kind of mess. Also, cooking is a bit scary with this setup. The sense of roominess created by the internal vestibule space is offset by the headroom that is compromised by the considerable sag of the inner material . The tent is not freestanding and the poles are made of an ultralight aluminum that must be protected with one's life while in transport or storage. The onus of seam sealing is left to the new owner but frankly, I learned a lot about waterproofing tent seams and repair strategies while performing this task.

This tent has a loyal following but i don't necessarily count myself among them. I give this tent a six.

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

robot one wrote:In fourth season conditions,the tent is not especially warm or dry (christened the "damplite" by my cohort) as ventilation is minimal so condensation can be a real problem (in spite of the extensive anti-condensation literature that accompanies the tent). The vestibule is inside the tent and it is difficult getting in and out of the tent in bad weather without creating some kind of mess. Also, cooking is a bit scary with this setup. The sense of roominess created by the internal vestibule space is offset by the headroom that is compromised by the considerable sag of the inner material . The tent is not freestanding and the poles are made of an ultralight aluminum that must be protected with one's life while in transport or storage.

:shock:

Return to Gear