EARLY ICE IN LVC....

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

EARLY ICE IN LVC....

by The Chief » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:47 am

Went for a walk above all the walls all the way down to above the "Green Wall" this afternoon before the Pass closes for the season. There are three good flowing water sources above the Main and also over towards the B/H. As you can see by my photo, the ice is forming nicely on both C and Main Walls with Photo CS and other in between routes towards the B/H, starting to show clear signs of ice forming. My gut tells me that the B/H will be surprisingly "IN", early, and then form fatter as the season progresses. Pray to the Ice God that my gut is right!

PS: It is beginning to snow here in Hilton Creek and the temp is dropping fast!

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
westhegimp

Deb

Re: EARLY ICE IN LVC....

by Deb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:32 pm

bump

Looking for Lee Vining and Horsetail Falls conditions please. :)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Deb wrote:bump

Looking for Lee Vining and Horsetail Falls conditions please. :)

It will be a while before anyone gets back there and checks.

Over 8 feet of snow and counting since last Friday.

AVY Conditions are dangerous as hell right now. I heard Caltrans blasting on McGee and I willing to bet that Cynder Hill and any other aspect close to 395 are in dire AVY conditions.

forjan

by forjan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Chief,
Any idea as to when Mono County will plow Poole Power Plant road? I guess the good thing is that the beginning talus approach (and the narrows section) will all now be buried.
--Miguel

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Don't think it makes much of a difference. Narrow canyon. Lots of snow (that's still falling if I'm correct). You'll want to give it some time to settle.

Pity though. Good ice early, then the huge dump. Isn't that always the way?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

forjan wrote:Chief,
Any idea as to when Mono County will plow Poole Power Plant road? I guess the good thing is that the beginning talus approach (and the narrows section) will all now be buried.
--Miguel

Just got off the phone with my County buddy there in LV. Bottom line, they have so many bigger fish to fry, avy's, flooding record snowfall etc that the PP is waaaaay down on the priority list. Unfortunately, with Edison updating all their eq this summer and pretty much automating it via satelite coms, they don't need to get back there as often as they use to. If they do, they have the DWP Cat available to get them back there if need be.

Will keep ya all informed as to the road condition etc.

westhegimp

by westhegimp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:50 am

Return to California