Yosemite or Indian creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Diggler

Re: Yosemite or Indian creek

by Diggler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 pm

mills wrote:...classic Brown testpiece at E1 5c, other worthwhile routes on Dinas Cromlech are Cemetary Gates E1 5b, Left Wall E2 5c, Memory Lane E3 5c, Foil E3 6a, Ressurection E4 6a not to mention the South side of the pass !

Interesting to see how grading systems evolved differently that came about after the whole US-British dynasty split. While my Irish friend maintains that the rock ratings over there make much more sense than those over here (i.e. YDS), every time I see that many letters & numbers used to describe a route, it just makes my head hurt (not to mention Welsh or Gaelic names that I can't even pronounce, let alone know what they mean)! The important thing is you understand what you're getting yourself into at a given area.

mills

Re: Yosemite or Indian creek

by mills » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 am

Yea must be confusing for you, I`m totally happy with the UK grading system it just makes sense to me ! In The new Lanberis guidebooks the grade of E6 and upwards is also given a Franch sport climbing grade as it reflects better the technical diffulculty of the route, i.e there is a big gap in the grading system especially above E5.
The French system gives more information about a route i.e Melondrama E7 6c (F8a), Surgical Lust E7 6b (F7a+), that is a huge margin for a grade which is given the same `E` grade and one grade down technically, maybea the grading system IS flawed but I think it`s here to stay !

Previous

Return to California