Need some must sees

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
NW

Need some must sees

by NW » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm

So I figure this will be the basic route of travel for when we're in California. I submitted my app for the Whitney lottery so we'll see how that goes in a few weeks. What I'ld like from all you users who are familiar with the area is some 'must go' to places. I don't mind veering off this route abit, like over into Nevada or something. It's just a probable direction of travel, not set in stone. So what can't I miss? It could be a trail, a mountain, a big old pile of boulders (I do love bouldering), really anything. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

http://mapq.st/i6azdi

seano

Re: Need some must sees

by seano » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:06 pm

In the Sierra, the Palisades are a must-do, either from Glacier Lodge (Middle Pal, Norman Clyde) or from South Lake (Agassiz, etc.). What you climb depends on your skill and how much you like camping out. Depending on when you're going, taking a detour on the way north to Joshua Tree (winter/spring) or San Gorgonio (summer) might be nice. Mount Conness outside Yosemite is a fun climb (class 2, 5.6, or harder), and you can sleep for free at Saddlebag Lake.

If you're in LA for dinner, go to Korea Town, since Korean can be hard to find elsewhere; the Corner Place is pretty good. For Mexican, I've enjoyed Tacos Por Favor and La Fiesta Brava on the west side.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
NW

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Sawtooth Ridge above Bridgeport and Bodie are well worth checking out before you turn up Tioga Pass. Take the Mono Lake entrance to Bodie and return to Hwy.395 by the west exit. Stop at the Whoa Nellie Cafe at the gas station at the Hwy.395 & 120 exit.

The following user would like to thank Palisades79 for this post
NW

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Get a milkshake at the Mono Cone in Lee Vining. They have every flavor you can imagine and I could live off the blackberry shake for the rest of my life.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
NW

NW

by NW » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Haha now I'm hungry. Thanks for the suggestions so far! We'll be up there in July and plan on avoiding hotels, just camping wherever we end up.

fedak

by fedak » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:23 pm

1) Do the hike from Devil's Postpile to Rainbow Falls
2) Stop off at the South Tufa area when driving by Mono Lake
3) Stop and eat at Whoa Nelli's in Lee Vining
4) Stop in Yosemite Valley. Drive to Glacier Point. Hike the Nevada Falls loop if you have time (or all of Half Dome if you have permits). Hit Mariposa Grove on your way out.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
NW

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 am

Since there's a lot of recommendations around Mono Lake (all good for rest days), might as well throw in the Bodie ghost town (off of Hwy 395 north of Mono Lake).

Another 'relax' day adventure is the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains across from the Sierra Nevada. The turn off is the road just north of Big Pine that heads east up to Westgard Pass. At least go to Schulmann Grove at the end of the asphalt road where there's a vistor center and a grove of the ancient trees. Also stop at a few of the lookout points along the road for some great across-the-valley views of the Eastern Sierra Nevada.

AVOID Death Valley in July; WWWAAAAYYYY TOOO F'N HOT! to the point its can be deadly.

The following user would like to thank phydeux for this post
NW

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 am

I should be thanking you Gary! You and Chief are the first ones who told me to go there last spring and I'm glad I did. I only wish I'd known about it years ago.

Return to California