ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE(S) in Climbing/Mountaineering

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Crabman

ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE(S) in Climbing/Mountaineering

by Crabman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:05 pm

so I'm looking for input as to any environmental (policy) issues that are interrelated and hopefully debatable w/in the mountain (climbing) environment ...

the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, has to do with "leave no trace" and/or the issues centering around littering in the backcountry (e.g., leaving excrement, oxygen tanks, etc.)

any input is welcome and encouraged and greatly appreciated ...

RokIzGud

Re: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE(S) in Climbing/Mountaineering

by RokIzGud » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Bolting and leaving fixed pro in has always been an issue but that can fall under "leave no trace".... Also, road construction to remote places (think Himalayas?) where with a low buget, not a lot of "thought" is always put into constructing the raods which can lead to landslides and erosion.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Does this pertain to just the U.S.? Because based on what I have read, the small and large expeditions to Everest, K2, etc leave a huge amount of garbage behind.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Public lands protection in general. That's the difference between the wilder mountains of the Rockies or Sierras and the gondola-to-the-top Alps.

Yes, Canadian, Alaskans, Himalayans, Siberians, and Antarcticans can go all superior on that one.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Human waste has always been a problem on the "Dog Routes" of Mount Rainier in Washington state.

In 1984, a plan was implemented to install solar toilets to break down the waste, but it still has to be routinely hauled out (in drums) by helicopter.

I'm not sure where the money comes from for doing that, but seems like it can be considered as being "well-spent" if it's helping out the environment in the long run.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Crabman

by Crabman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Marmaduke wrote:Does this pertain to just the U.S.? Because based on what I have read, the small and large expeditions to Everest, K2, etc leave a huge amount of garbage behind.

the subject matter can be a domestic issue or on the global front ... essentially what I'm trying to gather is ideas on what to write a research paper on for my environmental policy class ... I intend to focus on a topic that's both well-defined and narrow ... I would prefer to have to delve into some original inquiry versus just reading books and searching the web ...

I like the ideas presented so far ... thanks for all the input ...

keep'em coming ...

HungarySagehen

by HungarySagehen » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 pm

How about the issue of fossil fuel use and recreation? Those of us who love the outdoors and natural environment also tend to use quite a bit of fuel to reach those places (esp. in the US), and this fuel doesn't always have positive environmental effects through recovery, refining, or consumption (burning). The trend is towards increased urbanization, placing people farther from outdoor recreation areas. It seems to me as well fuel use increases exponentially for international climbing trips.

And, as others have said, not only public land protection, but the general concept of land use planning is central to access issues. How is it decided how much land is left "open" and what is developed? Definitely an exciting topic. :)

I suppose you could also delve into biodiversity effects of outdoor recreation, although I'm not sure what kind of literature exists on that. I mean specifically human visitor impacts on ecological systems and specific flora and fauna in sensitive alpine areas.

If I think of more I'll post em

aglane

by aglane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 am

Crabman--
The National Park Service has initiated discussion of a proposed new policy concerning the use of bolts in wilderness parks.

The topic is a closely-focused one of some real complexity: might be just about right for a shorter research paper. Timely in the extreme!

See for example
http://www.accessfund.org/site/c.tmL5Kh ... B/Home.htm

A Google search will turn up all sorts of relevant info.

Climbing ethics, material concerns for harm to natural features, libertarian/anarchist adherents to claims there should be no restrictions whatsoever on climbers, divergences among sport/trad/alpine climbers, etc.--plenty to delve into.

Crabman

by Crabman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:19 pm

FortMental wrote:
Crabman wrote:what I'm trying to gather is ideas on what to write a research paper on for my environmental policy class ... I would prefer to have to delve into some original inquiry versus just reading books and searching the web ...

....which is why you're searching the web.

Sure hope you credit the SP user from whom you got your "original" research topic.

hey smartass ... I'm opening up the floodgates to brainstorm ideas on this ... the final topic I decide upon will have no doubt been discussed before ... pretty much everything in life has ... but the final outlay and approach and argument w/in the paper will be "original" ... also, in terms of what you quoted me on saying, I intend to do original inquiry, such as onsight stuff, once I find a topic to write-on ... tapping into the community for ideas is a good place to start this process imo ...

I'd ask that you post productive banter in the future ... cheers dude ...

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Crabman wrote:
FortMental wrote:
Crabman wrote:what I'm trying to gather is ideas on what to write a research paper on for my environmental policy class ... I would prefer to have to delve into some original inquiry versus just reading books and searching the web ...

....which is why you're searching the web.

Sure hope you credit the SP user from whom you got your "original" research topic.

hey smartass ... I'm opening up the floodgates to brainstorm ideas on this ... the final topic I decide upon will have no doubt been discussed before ... pretty much everything in life has ... but the final outlay and approach and argument w/in the paper will be "original" ... also, in terms of what you quoted me on saying, I intend to do original inquiry, such as onsight stuff, once I find a topic to write-on ... tapping into the community for ideas is a good place to start this process imo ...

I'd ask that you post productive banter in the future ... cheers dude ...

I love it when SPers can take FM to task, string him up! BUT I don't believe he deserves that here. I didn't get the same impression you got from his post. Yea, he was a little sarcastic but.......don't know, a little overboard, still kinda' like it though, :twisted:
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Return to General