Peggy's Pond -- upper pond is GONE!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
TimmyC

Peggy's Pond -- upper pond is GONE!!

by TimmyC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Okay, so yeah, it's been a few years since I was last up at Peggy's Pond. Yesterday, trying to escape the rain, I drove up to Tuquala Meadows to do a scout of a scramble up Mt. Daniel. Yeah, yeah, it was sunny where I was avoiding (North Bend-ish) and it rained on me up there, but such has been my luck for the last week and a half. Anyway, after a lonely walk up the Cathedral Pass trail seeing only one other party of two, I wind my way around Cathedral Rock, stop at Peggy's Pond for a breather, and then head up, expecting the upper pond to come into sight at any moment.

Aaaany moment now...

Really, it's gotta be around here...

Wait -- where'd that pond-shaped field come from? I don't remember tha -- oh. That's where the upper pond used to be.

The creek cut below the level of the pond, and, voilà, no more pond. Anyone know when that happened? Quite a surprise.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm

LuminousAphid

Re: Peggy's Pond -- upper pond is GONE!!

by LuminousAphid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Erosion happened!!

Snidely Whiplash

Re: Peggy's Pond -- upper pond is GONE!!

by Snidely Whiplash » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 am

Maybe the bugs will be better there, now. That place had the worst mosquitoes anywhere. By the look of the vegetation, it looks like the pond has been gone for some time. I wonder how long it's been gone.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)