A dog on Bear Canyon/Mt. Baldy Trail?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
deungsan

A dog on Bear Canyon/Mt. Baldy Trail?

by deungsan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 am

I've done Baldy several times in different seasons but never on the Bear Canyon/Mt. Baldy Trail.

Which is the reason for this post.

I have a 100-pound Alaskan Malamute who is built for snow.

Are there any sections on this route where he could get into trouble or, because he'll be on a retractable leash, get me into trouble?

Specifically, I'm wondering if there are any ridges with steep drop-offs where he could fall and need to be hauled back up--assuming he didn't take me with him.

Also, is the snow so deep right now that he'd be post-holing?

Thanks for the help.

kevin trieu

Re: A dog on Bear Canyon/Mt. Baldy Trail?

by kevin trieu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:56 am

best to leave your best bud at home on this trail this time of the year. it can get hairy on the summit ridge. at 100lbs, he's gonna take you with him and the next stop is a long way down.

i was on Baden-Powell yesterday. knee-deep powder with snowshoes. Baldy looked like it has more snow.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

I went up that way a few years ago in February. I do recall a couple of narrow spots with forty-five degree slopes over major drops, where I would have been more comfortable holding an axe (I'd left mine behind in New England). In the snow conditions I had that day, a big dog would have had no trouble keeping his footing - but you'd have no chance of holding him if he did slip. Most likely you'd be pulled off balance and go down with him. Next most likely you'd be unable to hang on to the leash. Other possiblities: the leash breaks, or the dog gets injured when the leash jerks him to a stop. (Ever taken a fall on a static rope? Don't.) Forget about trying to haul him uphill by the leash. In short, never rope up unless you have both sufficient protection (e.g., snow anchors, dynamic rope) and a plan for self-rescue (e.g. pulleys and prussiks), plus the skill to make use of your gear.

(Of course, you can't make enough speed while placing and removing snow anchors if it's just you and the dog. Maybe you could just protect the cruxes (they're pretty short) but basically your choices are to leave the dog to look out for himself, or put the dog in the middle of an experienced three-mammal rope team.)

I didn't take any photos of the narrow spots, but this view of a sub-peak off the trail will give you an idea of what the terrain is like. The trail is not technical, but a slip in the wrong spot would have consequences.

deungsan

by deungsan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks for the advice.

Just the kind of details I was hoping for.

I think I'll take my pooch to Mt. Pinos instead for some snowshoe fun.

Return to California