ADKS - Dix Range question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Bark Eater

ADKS - Dix Range question

by Bark Eater » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm musing some summer trips in the 'Dacks. I'd appreciate opinions from those who've been whether the following is feasible for a long summer day trip by someone in good shape in dry conditions who doesn't mind long days: Elk Lake Trailhead to slide climb to Macomb to South Dix to East Dix to Hough and then return. What I've heard is that the slide climb is relatively open and easy in dry conditions and that much of the ridgeline is open and quick going, i.e. - minimal heavy bushwhacking. Yes, I know adkforum....just that I hang out here and thought I'd ask here first. Thanks much.

rasgoat

Re: ADKS - Dix Range question

by rasgoat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Never been to these areas but off the top of my head I think it can be done. You know who would know would be Mudrat or Walkswithblackflies.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:34 am

I did that back in 1971, when the use trails were not very apparent; but I started from the lean-to near the Macomb slide. Hough had rough thick bushes back then.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Bark Eater

triyoda

by triyoda » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 am

People do the whole Dix range in a day from Elk Lake. There is limited parking and the road is private (if the lot is full you are out of luck), so just be sure to get a early start if you are going on a busy weekend. I dawdled around and got shut out of the lot on Columbus day when I was planning to the whole range in a day. Had to drive around to 73 and only had time to do Dix and Hough.

The following user would like to thank triyoda for this post
Bark Eater

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)