Michigan Highpoint--still snow in April?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
maddie77777

Michigan Highpoint--still snow in April?

by maddie77777 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Is there still snow in da UP right now or in the next week or so? I'd like to plan a weekend trip up to L'Anse and hit the MI highpoint, but want to make sure I can drive the logging roads to get there. Is there still a lot of snow on the ground up there? If anyone lives around that area, thanks for your help!

dwhike

Re: Michigan Highpoint--still snow in April?

by dwhike » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:53 am

maddie77777 wrote:Is there still snow in da UP right now or in the next week or so?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but four-wheel travel into the backwoods of the Upper Peninsula is rarely, if ever, possible before May and as this hasn't been a particularly warm spring up until now I doubt things have opened up enough for driving on the trail roads. A good site to check out webcams in the area is at JohnDee.com but be warned, lawns and fields you see clear off weeks (sometimes more than a month!)before the backwoods do. I would highly recommend getting ahold of the folks at the Baraga County Convention and Visitors Bureau (800-743-4908 or 906-524-7454) as they usually have up-to-date road conditions. Good luck!

As an afterthought you might want to hit up stinkycheezman33 for info, he lives in nearby Houghton and likely has a good grasp on snow conditions in the area as well...

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)