Three Cups of ...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Damien Gildea

Re: Three Cups of ...

by Damien Gildea » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 am

tom johnson wrote:The show loses a bit of credibilty for because so often the interviewers use leading questions to get the answers they want.

Sure. Though I thought the same, to some extent, of the OutsideOnline article that many of GM's defenders are submitting as a defence of him.

"So you’re saying you were new to the process, busy, and you were naive about how nonfiction is written. And they were sometimes saying, “Let’s tell it this way, it’s better”?"

... a college female basketball player who said she was raped by three male basketball players. ..... Why not approach them with a camera on the sidelines of the various courts where they are now blissfully shooting hoops and ask about their rapist tendencies?

I didn't see the segment, but a rape allegation is a really serious criminal matter and most experienced journalists will tread carefully around them. Whipping up a media frenzy against the accused before any trial may prejudice the proceedings and the outcome, causing an injustice far worse than anything GM has been up to. As in my previous post, despite any impropriety that may be shown on the part of GM, I doubt any of it will end up in a criminal court.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 am

The Chief wrote:Lotta "I's" in that post young man.

You're right. I've edited my post. Now instead of "I think you're too lazy" and "I think you're too obtuse" it simply says "You are too lazy" and "You are too obtuse." That seems more correct to me too--glad we agree.

I know you love to hear yourself talk, so let's go to the evidence:

A.

builttospill wrote:A simple yes or no would suffice.

The Chief wrote:No response

B.

builttospill wrote: Even when it is painfully obvious that your counterpoint is irrelevant, that you have misunderstood the basic argument or context of the argument ... you even more stubbornly dig your heels in ...

The Chief wrote:the two allegations that you referred to in your previous post only enlightened my obtuseness to the point of ignoring your post completely as neither of them were anywhere near the magnitude that others within JK's article are referring to.

C.

builttospill wrote:4. You clearly think that your knowledge is more valuable than anyone else on Summitpost, no matter the other person's experience, knowledge or insights unique from your own.

The Chief wrote:....an extensively experienced worldly traveled young'n that still aint shaving his entire face and has yet to have all his public hairs sprouted.

Q.E.D.

Okay, leaving again.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:42 pm

builttospill wrote:
The Chief wrote:Lotta "I's" in that post young man.

You're right. I've edited my post. Now instead of "I think you're too lazy" and "I think you're too obtuse" it simply says "You are too lazy" and "You are too obtuse." That seems more correct to me too--glad we agree.

I know you love to hear yourself talk, so let's go to the evidence:

A.

builttospill wrote:A simple yes or no would suffice.

The Chief wrote:No response

B.

builttospill wrote: Even when it is painfully obvious that your counterpoint is irrelevant, that you have misunderstood the basic argument or context of the argument ... you even more stubbornly dig your heels in ...

The Chief wrote:the two allegations that you referred to in your previous post only enlightened my obtuseness to the point of ignoring your post completely as neither of them were anywhere near the magnitude that others within JK's article are referring to.

C.

builttospill wrote:4. You clearly think that your knowledge is more valuable than anyone else on Summitpost, no matter the other person's experience, knowledge or insights unique from your own.

The Chief wrote:....an extensively experienced worldly traveled young'n that still aint shaving his entire face and has yet to have all his public hairs sprouted.

Q.E.D.

Okay, leaving again.

He buttospill, here's a perfect profile avatar for ya...

Grow up would ya.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Believe me, BTS, you're not going to win this argument with the Chief by using logic. . .

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:00 pm

dskoon wrote:Believe me, BTS, you're not going to win this argument with the Chief by using logic. . .

Great point DSKOON!

Reality and Facts prevail in this issue DSKOON, Reality and Facts!

Not logic nor emotions.

Logic claims a dude the likes of GM could never do a thing like this. Reality is, that may just have been his greatest weapon, he in fact knew it and planned it that way all along. Appears far too many took the bait and bought off on the entire stale loaf.

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:24 pm

I have a demon in me - Stu

The following user would like to thank JasonH for this post
Buz Groshong

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:41 pm

JasonH wrote:Image

When did you start growing boobs JasonH? Oh shit!!!!!!!! Say it so..........

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:45 pm

The BBC is investigating the Three Cups of Tea contoversy. An interesting video from 60 Minutes is included
http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/20 ... f-tea.html

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Fletch wrote:
dskoon wrote:Believe me, BTS, you're not going to win this argument with the Chief by using logic. . .

Christ Skoon! Say something will ya? You're just the little sideline chirrper! We get it.

Better a sideline chirper than a mob with a rope. . .

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
Buz Groshong

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 pm

The Chief wrote:
JasonH wrote:Image

When did you start growing boobs JasonH? Oh shit!!!!!!!! Say it so..........

You like them, I got a buy one, get one free deal. :o
I have a demon in me - Stu

The following user would like to thank JasonH for this post
Buz Groshong

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:54 pm

The BBC is investigating the Three Cups of Tea contoversy. An interesting video from 60 Minutes is included

From that link:

Still, it is clear that Mortenson and his non-profit are not universally lauded even in the countries that he is trying to help.

Well, duuuhhhh! You build schools for girls in those places and there's going to be people who will speak badly about you. After all, there are a lot of people in that part of the world that think women should just be quiet and follow orders.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:59 pm

The Chief wrote:

Great point DSKOON!

Reality and Facts prevail in this issue DSKOON, Reality and Facts!

Not logic nor emotions.

Chief, I wasn't necessarily referring to GM's case, of which we mostly have a lot of speculation, rather than hard facts, at this point.
I was mostly responding to your ongoing argument with BTS, in which you continue to negate any of his points with your own emotional diatribe, ie, using ageism to tell him what a "youngin" he is,(thus presuming that since you're older you're supposedly wiser and omnipotent), and talking to him like . . You're back on the ship, barking at him as if he's a lowly Seaman, and calling his arguments "academia," etc, etc. . . Not the most civil, nor logical way to debate.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:

From that link:

Still, it is clear that Mortenson and his non-profit are not universally lauded even in the countries that he is trying to help.

Well, duuuhhhh! You build schools for girls in those places and there's going to be people who will speak badly about you. After all, there are a lot of people in that part of the world that think women should just be quiet and follow orders.

Very interesting point!

A very typical Westerner Christian missionary philosophy (Greg's background in fact). Go into a certain region/culture and attempt to promote the Christian, Values not thinking about the impact on how the approach may be accepted, if it will be accepted at all.

dskoon wrote:... barking at him as if he's a lowly Seaman, and calling his arguments "academia," etc, etc. . . Not the most civil, nor logical way to debate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8SrBQretk4[/youtube]

Edit: Youtube editing
Last edited by The Chief on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:09 pm

The Chief wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:

From that link:

Very interesting point!

A very typical Westerner Christian missionary philosophy (Greg's background in fact). Go into a certain region/culture and attempt to promote the Christian, Values not thinking about the impact on how the approach may be accepted, if it will be accepted at all.

Chief, is it necessarily a "Christian value," to give girls, around the world, the opportunity to be educated? Do you know for certain that GM was spreading his "missionary philosophy," rather than just building schools?

PreviousNext

Return to General