Middle Teton snowfields...advice wanted

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
sgubser

Middle Teton snowfields...advice wanted

by sgubser » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 am

I've got plans to hike the SW route up Middle Teton in early August. Last year, I did the same and there was not much snow and I crossed/traversed the snowfields in only my hiking boots.

This year I understand there is much more snow. Plus, I'll be having some other less experienced hikers with me.

What is the safest way to get past these snowfields? Last year, the traversing in mid afternoon (on a nice day) had soft snow with good tracks from previous hikers. I was within my comfort zone with only concentration on sure foot placements and only hiking boots ( the thought of slipping was in the back of my mind....and it was a little worrysome on one of the fields last year). However, with the expected larger snow fields and lower experience levels of my party, I am asking for opinions on the best/safest way to get by these fields.

Same as last year.....care, patience, willingness to turn around if its too hairy?

Same as last year, but rent ice axes? ( I and the others have no ice axe experience, but could practice on some snow on Cody Mountain before the Middle Teton hike) I think we would only be comfortable using them as walking aide....not for arresting any slides/falls.

Rent crampons? I think the risk of tripping with crampons ( since we've none used them before) offsets any extra safety they offer.

Forget crossing all but the smallest/most level fields, and hike below the snowfield on the rocks, upclimb the rocks after the snowfield back to the normal route?

Any comments/advise appreciated.

Steve

FRhoderick

Re: Middle Teton snowfields...advice wanted

by FRhoderick » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 pm

My advice would be to find another route that is well within the comfort zone of your friend with the least level of experience. Be safe.

fred

b.

by b. » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Overall I agree with Fred. If you have time to learn, that's a great place to learn self arrest and snow travel. If not, it's a demanding place to learn hard lessons once you get up high.

merrill

by merrill » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 am

The snow is melting fast with the recent high temps but there is still plenty. Call the ranger's office(307-739-3343) a few days prior to your trip to check on the latest snow conditions on the route you're planning to take. If you're lucky enough, most of the route will be free of snow.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)