Mt. Borah, Idaho: Current Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
henrik99

Mt. Borah, Idaho: Current Conditions?

by henrik99 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 am

Thinking about heading up Borah this weekend with my wife while grandparents are in town babysitting the little man. Anyone been up recently or know the current conditions?...snow?...appropriate gear? Recent pics would be fantastic too. I saw a relatively recent post on here for the same, but the last replies were from back in May and I'm sure there's been a great deal of changes in conditions. Thanks for any info.

IagosGhost

Re: Mt. Borah, Idaho: Current Conditions?

by IagosGhost » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 pm

I climbed Borah just two weeks ago on the 15th. I don't have any photos that show the current conditions, but I can tell you we only encountered snow three times including the snow bridge. Except for the snow bridge, all of that snow should have melted by now. In other words, snow won't be an issue for you. An ice axe might be handy on the snow bridge, but a trekking pole would probably suffice too. There was already a good set of footprints to follow on the snow bridge. Good luck!
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

henrik99

by henrik99 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks, Iagos Ghost!

climbinmandan

by climbinmandan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 am

It's beautiful up there! Finally down to what I would consider the regular climbing season. The footprints on the snow bridge have been pretty well established by now.

Bring an ice axe just in case, some sunglasses and trekking poles. Definitely bring a jacket for the summit. It is still really chilly anywhere above 11k right now. Some people say that they wouldn't climb Borah without crampons, but I don't believe they are necessary. That said, you could bring them if you want to practice using some on steep snow/ice!

Have a great time and be safe!

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Its totally do able right now! As far as an ice ax goes, yeah bring it. Its a long way down both sides of the snow crossing in the unlikely event you fell. I probably wouldn't bother with crampons though... Just remember to start early and take plenty of water and food.

As far as a current picture goes, follow this link and click on the road cam between Arco and Challis.

http://511.idaho.gov/default.asp?displa ... &textOnly=

Maybe I will post a few from my trip to the summit on the 21'st.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)